Unknown Deep divers missing - Serpentara island, Italy

This Thread Prefix is for incidents when the cause is not known.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Speculation is all that it will be at this stage, however your theory of a gas issue I would definitely have as a suspect, I also agree that the fact the dive objective wasn’t started is an indicator of something going wrong after only a few minutes in to the dive, (probably less than 5min)
Such a sad loss for the guys families and friends.
agree, Gas analysis will be a good place to start looking -some sort of medical mishap for both is less likely, one person getting into some sort of trouble and the second helping and dying too is possible

Helping someone out on a ccr at 100m depth will very quickly lead to a hypercapnia episode.

8:59 pm update...

10:02 pm update...
gutted.

Stefano was a friend, and an exceptionally experienced diver, tech/ccr Instructor.
steph.png

This is the second straight thread in which a report identifies a likely cause for the incident, and the ScubaBoard thread immediately assumes they must be wrong, so we have to take a wild guess and give our opinions on what we think really happened. In the other one, it turned out the original statement was likely correct. Why not let this one play out before assuming the experts who recovered the bodies have no idea what they are talking about?

This is the second straight thread in which a report identifies a likely cause for the incident, and the ScubaBoard thread immediately assumes they must be wrong, so we have to take a wild guess and give our opinions on what we think really happened. In the other one, it turned out the original statement was likely correct. Why not let this one play out before assuming the experts who recovered the bodies have no idea what they are talking about?

Awww, what's the fun in that? Why net let rampant speculation and wild ass theories run it's course?

I'm not saying it's aliens, but it's aliens.

BTW - RIP.

I think there are a couple of reasons for questioning and speculating:

1. Lack of data is really the issue. We don't know WHY the experts think what they do, nor do we known the experts' credentials. And news reports often are wrong because they are written in the heat of them moment. And of course never have details and over-simplify. They write to their audience, and we're not their audience.

Maybe they are right: I'm intrigued by the hypercapnia in the rescuer possibility.

2. Just because factor X wasn't the cause in a given accident, it's worth noting it could be until shown otherwise. If for no other reason, less experienced divers can learn about possible concerns that COULD cause a fatality. And more experienced divers can be reminded.

3. This is the interweb. Just be glad I haven't told you my theory about a kraken smacking them on the back of the head.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom