New Constant Output lights from DGX!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

stuartv

Seeking the Light
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I just saw that Dive Gear Express has added 2 new lights to their offerings and they are both "constant output".

The DGX Gears 1000-6 and 1000-8.

They are nearly identical. Both use a single 21700 battery for power.

The -6 uses a Luminus SFT-40 LED for a raw output of 2000 lumens (on high), with a smooth reflector and a 6 degree beam angle. 90 minutes burn time on High, 168 on Medium (900 lumens), and 600 minutes on Low (250 lumens).

The -8 uses a Cree XHP50.3 LED for a raw output of 3000 lumens (on high), with an orange peel reflector and an 8 degree beam angle. 60 minutes burn time on High, 120 minutes on Medium (1100 lumens), and 600 minutes on Low (350 lumens).

Both lights are selling for $89 each, which includes 1 battery. The battery has a built-in charger - just connect a USB-C power source.

For comparison purposes:

A Dive Rite CX2 uses a Luminus SST-40 (not SFT-40) LED and a 21700 battery. It is NOT constant output. It is a max of 1700 lumens and 165 minutes on high (gradually tapering brightness). It is an 8 degree beam (with a smooth reflector).

A Dive Rite LX20+ uses 4 x 18650 cells and has a Cree XM-L2 U4 LED with a constant output of 1500 lumens (on high), in a 6 degree beam, for 135 minutes.

A 21700 cell is normally 5000 mAh.

The 18650 cells used by DR are 3500, so 4 of them is 14,000 mAh.

I was curious regarding the difference between a Luminum SFT-40 and SST-40. I found the following which suggest that the SFT-40 is a slightly improved SST-40.

That's really impressive and might have them take over from my current cheap primary recommendation of the Xstar D1600.

It's only 89 bucks!

I ordered a 1000-6 and a new spare power inflator for $19, to get my order over the minimum for free shipping.

:D
I just paid for ground shipping, couldn’t think of anything I needed otherwise, I could also say I don’t need the light, I think I bought the 8, but that would be silly :)

I received my DGX 1000-6 today. These are just some quick observations.

The DGX dimensions on their website are wrong. They list it as 135 (length) x 40 (head) x 35 (tube) mm. The exact same as they list for the DGX 700 twist light.

I measured mine (a 700 and the 1000-6).

The 700 measures approximately 146 (length, including lanyard loop) x 40 (head diameter) x 28 (thinnest part of tube diameter).

The 1000-6 measures approximately 157 x 45 x 28.

Side by side, the 1000-6 is clearly bigger - but not by a whole lot.

Comparing the beams, the 1000 is clearly a LOT brighter, AND a lot tighter beam. The 1000 is claimed to be 6 degrees and the 700 is claimed to be 8.

I am not trying to measure them for accuracy, but side by side on a wall, the 1000 spot is very obviously smaller than the spot from the 700.

Being a tighter beam AND more lumens, I am expecting the 1000-6 to be quite obviously better at illuminating a faraway target at distance.

I am not thrilled at how much fatter the light head is versus the one on the 700. And I am definitely not thrilled about push button for on/off. But, 2000 lumens with constant output sounds AWESOME (on paper, anyway), so I'm going to give it a legit chance to earn the primary spot on my harness for a primary recreational light.

I will shoot some side by side video in the water when I am able, showing both of these and my BigBlue VTL9000P Max (claims a 2900 lumen 10 degree spot beam).

Cheers.

If any of you 3D printing wiz's wants to make a collar that can snap onto this light body so that it creates a ledge or shelf or whatever that it flush with the top of the on/off button - making it a lot harder to press it by accident, that would be just great.

If the same collar can be popped off, flipped around, and popped back on, to make it where you CANNOT press the on/off button (for when the light is in my dive bag or otherwise), that would be even better.

Or maybe I'll try using a piece from a sheet of Kydex I have laying around, to heat form something...

Received my 1000-8, last thing I need is another dive light, need to dispose of a few.
This is just what is in the house
IMG_9964.jpeg

L to r, olden scubapro Nova HP, DGX twist on from several years ago (these are now only used around the house, 18650 battery, I have two of them) a DGX flood beam tail switch, 18650. The DGX 1000-8, Orca torch D710, Orcatorch DC 710 last 3 use the 21700 battery, nitescuba G20 with green lazer that uses the 26650 battery
IMG_9966.jpeg

The front of the above in reverse order if that isn’t obvious.
One nice thing about this DGX light is the box
IMG_9981.jpeg

No guilt about disposing of it, lanyard, spare o rings and the usb c cable for the battery.

The DGX is well made, good low profile switch, electronic lock by holding the switch down for a few seconds and turn it off by doing the same.
It’s a nice bright light ant a pretty nice price from one of the better on line suppliers, worth the $ for sure.

Over all I prefer the slimmer Orca since I carry a light more than I use one, the D 710 is also very bright, uses the same battery and is slimmer.

I did a output totally non scientific test in a sink because I was curious about heat output and thought a small amount of water and my computer would give me an idea of heat generation, after the DGX ran on high for an hour the temp was steady at 71°, after I switched lights to the D710 and ran it for another hour the temp came up to 73°, they put out some heat but not crazy
IMG_9989.jpeg

IMG_9984.jpeg

DGX on the left D710 on the right
IMG_9977.jpeg

DGX at the start
IMG_9979.jpeg

At the finish
IMG_9980.jpeg

Looks pretty consistent for output.
D710 beginning
IMG_9985.jpeg

And at the end
IMG_9988.jpeg

There is some fade, both were run until the indicator was flashing which shows something like 10% remaining power.

And of cours after the evil Stuart showed us this light and I ordered it, Orca releases the ZD 710 zoomable light but it won’t be here for another week it seems :wink:

Back
Top Bottom