Rental computers and newer divers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Kudos to you for picking up insta-buddies

I am not that noble and got a solo cert so I could avoid having to worry about other divers
And the liability that goes along with it, and I'm not just talking about a potentially ruined/shorter dive, but also the legal aspects that can come into play if things don't go well for the instabuddy, even if no fault of your own.

A few random comments that came to mind when reading this thread about rental computers.

Didn't see it mentioned but other problems may arise: a rental computer may have residual data from another diver thus shorting your NDL dive time. If the diver goes out with different Ops during a multi-day vacation they will be unable to track their Nitrogen load.

I have seen many divers having issues with rental computers and helpful crew unable to figure out the menus to get them set correctly. Or (slightly unrelated), a diver has no computer or their only computer doesn't work, or they just bought it and didn't bother to figure out how to operate it prior to the trip.

Doing a Google search isn't always possible if you're in a remote location with no internet.

I see nothing wrong with asking the dive shop how to set the Nitrox blend rather than going to the trouble to Google it, then trying to read a pdf on a small smartphone screen, and quite often there's a lot going on in the short period of time before getting ready to splash.

I dive with an earlier model Oceanic VT pro. They're no longer serviced so I think of them as disposable. At about $75 to pick one up used, I've got about a half a dozen, I always dive with 2 and have an extra in the parts bag. They're incredibly easy to use, they have the same algorithms as the newer models, large, basic and easy to read screens, they're reliable, user replaceable battery, same transmitter as many other newer computers, they're wrist mounted AI and the Oceanic Versa Pro is the same exact compute without AI. At these prices there is no reason not to have a computer. When did a 3 day livaboard trip in Australia on the GBC, since it was a long trip and gear was included, we only brought our masks and computers- and Ocean Encounters had no problems with us attaching our transmitters to their first stage regulators. But even if they had refused, as did an Op to a diver earlier in this thread, obviously the computers can still be used for all the other functions sans the AI.

Computer should be one of your very first purchases. Will save your life, many places dont require you to have one and only rely on the instructor/guide’s computer, and there’s usually an extra charge to rent it that’s separate than a ‘full kit’ rental. As a beginner it also makes you ‘feel’ like a diver more than any other piece of equipment.

Renting any unknown computer makes you on a way to accidental death. You do not know what it says where on the display.
That's a little bit of hyperbole, in my opinion.

I have used a bunch of different computers from different brands and manufacturers and underwater they all show depth, time, NDL. What else do you really need to know?

Settings on the surface can be a little tricky with some brands, but you have time to figure those out and hopefully an internet link to a manual etc.

If you can't figure what's what right away on the dive screen underwater, it's a very odd computer.

That's a little bit of hyperbole, in my opinion.

I have used a bunch of different computers from different brands and manufacturers and underwater they all show depth, time, NDL. What else do you really need to know?

Settings on the surface can be a little tricky with some brands, but you have time to figure those out and hopefully an internet link to a manual etc.

If you can't figure what's what right away on the dive screen underwater, it's a very odd computer.
In my original post, I note that the diver violated NDLs and had no idea what to do with the new information he was seeing. When I saw what was going on and looked at his computer, I had to tell him where to stay and for how long.

As a new diver, this thread is a great reminder to take my dive computer on my upcoming cruise so I can dive with it. Thanks! 😁

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom