Question Vintage SEATEC BCD

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

FAT NICKY

New
Reaction score
# of dives
This is for divers of a certain age 😂😂...Anyone know what model Seatec bcd this is ? Been using it in the USVI since 05, I brought it down from NY, and I'm figuring it's gotta be late 80's.....back mounted bladder, separate from the harness assembly.... from the put this in they don't make them like they used to category.....absolutely bullet proof, fabric, straps, plastic components are all excellent, in comparison to my wife's Oceanic Tropic, which although is 20 years old, but stored in a dry closet, fell apart in my hands...dump valve flanges, tank strap components, anything plastic... foreign junk..
Good old made in USA Seatec with internal bladder still going strong, ...yeah, this from a guy whose 1st BCD was a horse collar !😂😂....1st one who gets the ID wins a kewpie doll !!😂😂. PS... I'm positive it's not the Manta....that was a jacket style BC.....one of the 1st ones they made.....

Attachments

• IMG_20240517_085752.jpg
    IMG_20240517_085752.jpg
    153.7 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_20240515_094833.jpg
    IMG_20240515_094833.jpg
    152.9 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_20240515_094659.jpg
    IMG_20240515_094659.jpg
    166.5 KB · Views: 25
All of my SeaTec BCs are of the horse collar variety. Yours may be a SeaTec Seahorse Extreme Wing.

Check out this page from 2008 via the wayback machine:

One of my Seatec horse collars is 48 years old and the bladder still holds air, impressive.

I have the SeaTec Seahorse. I have owned three and still have one, it is orange and blue replacement to a blue and yellow one. Too big, too floppy, way too much taco, way too much lift but in those days that is what sufficed if you did not want, a jacket or a horsecollar BC.

On several occasions I had dive boats on the Gold Coast of Florida and in the keys get bent all out of shape because it would not float a diver head up. And I also used trim pouches on the cam bands and was told I had to remove them as that was dangerous which of course made the contraption force my face into the water even more so. Then they complained I did not have a snorkel so I stuck a stupid breathing tube in my bottom and carried on. How times have changed.

I would split mine in the plate area overlap it and then pull the sides in and also would have a bungee sewn in to the outer edge. I hated them and hate now those blow molded back packs and anything with a single cam band or strap.

Here are a couple of SeaTecs, never mind the USD/AL emblem. That is a patch I found in a Goodwill store and sewed it on over the SeaTec patch because USD/AL is way cooler in the olden times than SeaTec.

My first wing was the similar Scubapro circa about 1976, yep, Scubapro beat Seatec to market with back inflate wing:

And so did good old Sportsways:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom