Wet Macro Lenses

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ardy

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
HI Guys, I am sure most of you know this but it was news to me. I just bought an Inon macro lens - a first for me.
A wet macro lens doesn't magnify, it only reduces the camera to lens focussing distance.
Could be a trap for the unwary.

HI Guys, I am sure most of you know this but it was news to me. I just bought an Inon macro lens - a first for me.
A wet macro lens doesn't magnify, it only reduces the camera to lens focussing distance.

It would only be a trap if they stated/implied the lens magnified.
If not, then you got what they advertised - unless you did not look into what you were getting.

Nonetheless, a reduction in focusing distance is a great tool and sometimes more useful than a magnifying lens.

A magnifying lens usually requires you to get closer to the subject for the magnification to happen - sometimes this is not always helpful with skittish creatures. And the working range of the magnification is often very small and requires a lot of skill.

A reduction in focus distance is easier.

It all depends on what you need.

It would only be a trap if they stated/implied the lens magnified.
If not, then you got what they advertised - unless you did not look into what you were getting.

Nonetheless, a reduction in focusing distance is a great tool and sometimes more useful than a magnifying lens.

A magnifying lens usually requires you to get closer to the subject for the magnification to happen - sometimes this is not always helpful with skittish creatures. And the working range of the magnification is often very small and requires a lot of skill.

A reduction in focus distance is easier.

It all depends on what you need.
I suspect you misunderstand. From my reading on this lens, to get the magnification you have to get closer to your subject and therefore your paragraph makes no sense:
"A magnifying lens usually requires you to get closer to the subject for the magnification to happen - sometimes this is not always helpful with skittish creatures. And the working range of the magnification is often very small and requires a lot of skill."
My thought of the trap was anyone not understanding that you HAVE TO GET CLOSER.

This is INON's explanation so that you understand it.
The UCL-165M67 is high magnification close-up lens providing 165mm focal length (+6 diopter) where 165mm shooting distance from lens surface when camera’s focus position is set to infinity. Using minimum focusing distance will shorten minimum focus distance allowing you to get closer to a subject enabling high magnification close-up photography.

Not sure what you were expecting; maybe you were expecting a zoom lens?

Not sure what you were expecting; maybe you were expecting a zoom lens?
Why would you assume that I am too stupid to know the difference? Very strange!

Why would you assume that I am too stupid to know the difference? Very strange!
Why are you upset with me? You posted surprise and dismay that a macro lens requires you to get closer.
What did you expect it to do?

OMG another assumption. Where was the dismay in my original post? Actually, I am delighted with it.

All I was doing was highlighting to others that when using a wet macro lens it reduces the lens to subject distance, which I did not understand until I read the Inon description (posted above) so, if you are photographing something skittish you need to know this.

OMG another assumption. Where was the dismay in my original post? Actually, I am delighted with it.

All I was doing was highlighting to others that when using a wet macro lens it reduces the lens to subject distance, which I did not understand until I read the Inon description (posted above) so, if you are photographing something skittish you need to know this.
I guess I am confused. You said you did not understand that the wet macro reduced the lens-to-subject focusing distance, in order to produce a larger image. The only other way I can think of to get a larger image without getting closer is with a longer lens, I.e. a telephoto or a zoom, and so I asked how did you think a Macro lens worked?
I'm glad you are happy with your new lens.

Yes I agree.

Ardy none of us meant to poke at you with this.
Just the use of trap is un fair.

Here is their description:

A high magnification close-up lens providing 165mm focal length (+6 diopter) where 165mm shooting distance from lens surface when camera’s focus position is set to infinity. Using minimum focusing distance will shorten minimum focus distance allowing you to get closer to a subject enabling high magnification close-up photography.

Dual use underwater/land and usable with all zoom range. Even at same shooting distance, it is easy to capture a subject at desired size by adjusting zoom setting.

They state its a close-up lens, implying you need to get closer up to the subject.
And at minimum focusing distance, the distance will be further shortened with the close-up lens and allow you to get closer - again implying user moves as opposed to any zoom feature.

Then they add that you can use the close-up lens at all zoom levels on your camera.

Your message would have been better labeled as "heads up newcomers".

Anyways, to the subject at hand.
What are you looking to accomplish? Be able to zoom in without getting physically closer?
If so, then you need a camera lens that zooms more.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom