Any body uses e-cigs? Tell me what you think of being able to use an e-cig underwater

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I use an e-cig. However I am able to go a whole hour without a hit of nicotine. I think most smokers or e-cig users can. If they can't they should see a doctor. A water proof case for the e-cig would be be a better idea. I like to vap on the boat ride and I currently hide it in my dive log case or mask case, but accidents can and do happen.

Looking past the obvious idiotic aspect of this idea,
I wonder what physiologically effects of breathing a vapor/chemical cocktail, at elevated pressures, you will encounter.
I don't know the chemical makeup of e-cig vapor, and I am to lazy to look it up.
Just FYI most vapes are made of Vegetable Glycerin and /or Polypropylene Glycerol.
I vape now it helped me quit smoking. I can go an hour or 2 without a hit and if necessary longer there is no way I would want to do it underwater!

Even back when I smoked (I stopped over 40 years ago), I never even considered a nicotine fix while diving. Sounds like some serious addiction issues to me.

I think there'd be some serious liability if such a product was used and I also agree that you have a serious issue if you can't wait until after a dive to smoke. I smoked a long time ago so now the smell of smoke really bugs me. I can't stand it when people smoke on the boat. It makes me nauseous. While I'd really prefer them not to do it on the boat at all, some people still do even when politely asked not to. (Hey, I've been there when I really wanted a cig, but the people around me asked me to put it out. It sucked, but I still complied as a courtesy.) If the choice is between smelling a regular cig and an e-cig, I'd totally go with the latter so agree with UserNameBella...a waterproof case for an e-cig. Good luck in your endeavor.

Looking past the obvious idiotic aspect of this idea,
I wonder what physiologically effects of breathing a vapor/chemical cocktail, at elevated pressures, you will encounter.
I don't know the chemical makeup of e-cig vapor, and I am to lazy to look it up.
My understanding is that it's unregulated and no one knows (other than maybe the manufacturers) know what's in various formulations. It's like "trust me" breathing.

It's an incredibly stupid idea in general, but it seems every generation has to have it's own incredibly stupid idea.

----

As for the OP's idea, I need to point out that the effects of various gases and chemicals is very dependent on partial pressure, and something that will only kill you over the course of 20 years at 1 atmosphere, may kill you in minutes or seconds at elevated partial pressures. Given that you a) don't know what the chemicals involved are and b) don't know there affect at the surface, let alone at elevated partial pressures, it not just a bad idea, it's basically stupid with stupid sauce on top.

---------- Post added December 5th, 2015 at 07:06 AM ----------

-----

There is a bit of irony here, as I was giving one of the local dive shop employees crap the other day for smoking (in the designated smoking area at the curb). We discussed in general what a bad idea it was, particularly for technical diving instructors, then joked about a rebreather instructor who smokes about 2 packs a day, which led to a discussion of the wonderful idea of exhaling smoke into the loop so you could rebreathe the smoke through the whole dive.

With none of this being seriously considered for obvious reasons.

----

I can also comment on the very brief fad of flavored air back in the early 1980s. Sounded like a great idea, except of course for the unknown affects of what ever you are using for flavor when it's under pressure, which we weren't experienced enough or knowledge enough to even consider as a risk. In practice however, an entire tank of mint flavored air over the course of a 45 to 60 minute dive is enough to put you off mint for months.

Another incredibly stupid idea - that one from my generation.

Wouldn't it be easier to just have your local shop blend some nicotine (and whatever's in the vapor of an e-cig) into your breathing gas? No modification to the reg necessary, just a slight upcharge on your air fill.

Hmm...

1-heavy smokers of 40 ciggies a day can live fine without smoking while diving.

2-we have nicotine and other substance poluting the sea water.

3-now we have nicotine narcosis or compressed chemical substance entering out blood stream...

Well done.

---------- Post added December 18th, 2015 at 05:09 AM ----------

Wouldn't it be easier to just have your local shop blend some nicotine (and whatever's in the vapor of an e-cig) into your breathing gas? No modification to the reg necessary, just a slight upcharge on your air fill.
As easy as pressing the activate button and point the nozzle to the suction of the compressor.

Make sure he uses his own tank for this purpose.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom