How is the diving? Dive vacation or vacation where you dive?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

wildbill9

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
We want to shark dive. We dived with many sharks in Belize and loved it and have read up on sharkys and Tiger beach. My question is other than the shark dives how is the diving? We have been in the last 2 years to Belize, Bonaire, Little Cayman (3 times) Ft. Lauderdale, Cozumel and are going to Roatan in April (this is just to list what we are used to). So....are the Bahamas a dive vacation or a vacation where we dive? Thanks Bill

Sure... and don't forget Emerald Charters out of Jupiter Inlet, Fl. Beyond awesome shark dives and superb diving all around.

Maybe not this trip but for future 'shark' reference, some items that may interest you:

1.) North Carolina offers deep off-shore wreck diving where you can get real close to fairly large, scary looking (sand tiger) sharks without baiting or shark feeding (trip report).

2.) Jupiter, FL is indeed known for shark viewing; I did a trip with Jupiter Dive Center in 2014. My trip was timed for the Fall Goliath Grouper aggregation, not the Spring lemon shark migration.

3.) Since Emerald Dive Charters was mentioned, let me link you to this thread, Lemon Sharks of the shipwreck “Esso Bonaire III” with Emerald Charters, where there's discussion about how they conduct these dives. Considerable info. there I'd want to know before I showed up at the boat.

To be clear, I hope to dive with Emerald Dive Charters some day. Advancing myself toward that was one motive for my trip to Morehead, North Carolina to spend time with sharks close-up without baiting, and confirm my comfort level with real world experience.

For your Bahamas trip, are you planning a live-aboard or an island-based stay? Is your intended shark viewing apt to include a shark feed dive, or just random swim-by encounters?

Richard.

We will be land based and would prefer a natural encounter not a baited one. We have been on dive vacations and vacations where we dive. I am just curious about the quality of diving compared with what we have gotten used to. With only 2 dive operations I am feeling like we will get some down time but that the diving will be only ok.

With only 2 dive operations
Since you mentioned only 2 dive operators - I assume you're going to Nassau?

Cove's is famous for the baited feed but it's been going on so long that the sharks sometimes are found hovering near the non-feed wrecks so it's a more natural behavior. If you're willing to spend all day there - plus 45mins. each way on the shuttle, you can often schedule 4 dives per day within their normal pattern if you don't shark dive.

Bahama Divers which is much closer to Nassau/Paradise Island only schedules 3 dives/day. And also has a local shuttle. Bahama Divers used to see Hammerheads on their Lost Blue Hole dive in a natural setting - IDK if they still do.

Since you mentioned Tiger Beach, that's done from Freeport on Grand Bahama, not Nassau. And there's more than 2 options there. UNEXSO does the baited shark dives, Reef Oasis or Epic Diving run out to Tiger Beach from there plus there's other options - Grand Bahama Scuba, Bell Channel Inn, Sunn Oddysey etc.

My avatar was shot in the Bahamas - one of probably 2-3 dozen sharks I filmed in the outer islands (Cay Sal) via liveaboard. It's pretty naturally sharky but difficult to get to now.I've read Bimini at certain times can be really good for Lemon sharks also - no personal exp all we saw was a couple nurse sharks on 2 dives there.

Next trip plan Turks/Caicos if you want to see sharks in a natural setting. Out at French Cay or West Caicos you're just one of the fish - they completely ignore you generally. I like that. Seriously excellent deep wall diving also. Downside for land-based there is the logistics, the operators pick you up, shuttle you to the south marina and it's a 45min. boat ride + lunch. So 2 dives returns around 2:30, add a 3rd and it's closer to 4:30. There is also local diving off Provo where we saw an occasional shark but not as often.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom