What to expect late May in Palau?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mmmbelows

Contributor
Reaction score
What are the conditions we should expect in late May in Palau? Leaning toward a land based experienced, but worried about the weather effecting the diving.

Hi there!

In May, you’ll have good visibility and temperatures, but you might see a bit of rain. Viz is likely to remain around 30m. The water temperature should approach 30C. Air temps are on average 27C and the average monthly rainfall for May is 320mm, making it one of the rainiest months for the country. Whale sharks will technically be out of season, but you’ll get plenty of sea turtles. There is an outside chance of a typhoon, but it would be quite rare because it’s the very beginning of the season. If you’d like any information about weather averages throughout the year, please take a look at our page on Palau.

Have a great trip and happy diving!

I think Diviac meant mantas rays - not whale sharks :)

The rainy season starts in June so in May you will be more likely to still have sunny days :)

Underwater expect to see a lot of sharks on almost every dive, schools of fish, bumphead parrot fish, napoleons, turtles. Mantas may still be around cleaning in the cleaning stations of German Channel.
Tip: If you dive in Palau during full moon or new moon, you will have much more underwater action than during half moons :)

Read the Siren Fleet trip blogs in Palau so you see what you can expect :)

I have several segments of a long video I did based on my trip there last year. They can be seen in lower resolution segments on my YouTube channel: DrBillBushing

I'm heading back there in April (and, with any luck, each year after that until I'm pushing a walker). Some of the best diving I've ever done.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom