Where to buy gear

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

it all depends on what kind of gear you want, and how much you want to spend....

The best "dive shop" in your area is up in Greensboro, called NADCO. Their website sucks, but Dolphi and Randy are awesome.

Throw us a bone and tell us what gear you are looking at and why, and what your diving goals ultimately are, and we can help out a bit more. Many of us in your area have gear that we may be willing to sell for relatively low amounts of money. We are also in the area and dive regularly and can show you the gear we have settled on and why, which would help you make the decision process.

FWIW my "dive shops" are as follows. Though take this with a grain of salt because I don't buy much gear anymore, certainly not new
Deep Sea Supply directly for backplates and wings
Dive Right in Scuba for drysuits
Cave Adventurers for sidemount stuff and most things *used to use DRiS more, but go through CA mostly now because of proximity when in cave country.
Craigslist-tanks-don't buy new, biggest rip off in diving...
Forums/Northeast Scuba Supply-random stuff that I may or may not need at the time

I personally like to support our local dive shop. They can advise you for the best gear for you and help you future proof so you don't end up replacing the gear you bought in a year or two. Our LDS also has a pool for trying out gear and PADI training to help develop diving skills. Also, remember to consider that much of your gear is life support equipment - there are some things I would just never buy used. The relationship you develop with your LDS is a valuable one IMHO. Good luck with your gear search and your diving - stay safe.

buying from a local dive shop (LDS) is important. most dive equipment is a major purchase. an LDS is someplace you can walk into with questions...maybe even a try before you buy dive. My local shop will do their best to meet any online price.
I encourage my students to buy local. Buying blindly online may get stuff that is a) discontinued, b) out of warranty, c) subject to a recall, d) not the right thing for you. Find a local shop you trust and use 'em. Be a regular customer and they should take good care of you. If not....come on down here to Florida and i'll introduce you to the shop i use!

Why not give us a GO? We are a Scubaboard Business Sponsor! Please visit our buyer feedback here on SB.

I like dive gear express, they have a lot of little things that are hard to find, or are stupidly overpriced elsewhere. There is no best place to buy things from. Whatever place has what you want for the cheapest, is the best place for that item. I purchase my scuba gear from many different online stores; DGX, Leisure Pro, Scuba.com, Amazon, etc.

I also buy locally at various different shops, small mom & pop stores, bigger stores (like Diver's Direct), and then sometimes I go to my local freedive shop, they tend to be better for spearfishing equipment, and things like fins, and masks. Just look around for deals on what you want.

I'd +1 ScubaToys. I was living in Dallas last year and they gave me great service plus good pricing. I have also talked to many people who got stuff from ScubaToys then had a problem. ScubaToys was great and taking care of them.

I'd also suggest going to local dive shops and see if they can match prices. You don't have to say you are getting the gear online. If you say find an item for $400 (just making up numbers) and the local shop is advertising the same item for $500, just ask if they can match the price. Or if they have something similar for $500, see if they can justify why the similar item is worth more money or if they'll match the price.

If you do this it helps to support the local economy. Also, I have found some shops here suspect I'm buying online and treat me REALLY bad. They essentially turn me away for everything (tank fills, local service, rentals, etc.). A good shop who knows how to actually run a retail business will tell you if they cannot match the price but will be happy to sell you other things they can match the price (or beat it).

Divers Direct is pathetic. Of the few times I purchased stuff from them, nothing but problems...Manager was a complete Ahole about everything...The people in the store have no clue...Never again! They are like the Walmart of dive shops, just minus the Walmart prices...

I agree with a lot of this. I have purchased gear from a number of places and have generally had good experiences. Like others, supporting the LDS is something I like to do, but that has limits. First of all, while they can spend time with you and give you advice, they are there to sell you their brands and their inventory and my needs/wants do not always align. Then there is the price -- to be honest, when I'm potentially spending hundreds of dollars more on something high end to support the LDS, I turn to the online retailers. I've always had good experiences with LP and Scubatoys. Diver's Direct is a different kind of place. They have some of the main brands, but they also have a lot of their own, which I don't care for. In short, they have a lot of what I don't want, so while I don't have customer service complaints or anything bad to say, I simply don't often find what I'm looking for there. If you are buying your first set of gear, the LDS probably makes a lot of sense. You will need more guidance, you may not have developed strong opinions, and you are not as likely to take the big financial hit on higher end stuff at this point. The one exception is likely to be your reg and the LDS will often offer some free service or discounted service, which offsets the price differential to a degree. Good luck and have fun shopping for gear!

While my lines are more limited than some of my on line competitors I do my best to provide personal service with the convenience of on line shopping. I answer the phone 7 days a week, Emails are always responded to within 24 hours. That's the longest. Most are within an hour or two.

Certain items you are better off buying locally. Masks are a good example although I do have a try and return policy if it doesn't fit. Buy it, try it in the pool a few times. As long as there is no damage I will accept a return for full cost refund minus shipping.

I would advise divers to get their boots as well locally just for the fit issue. Anything else - if your LDS is too high, too busy to take time with you, or you just can't get in touch with them there is no reason not to buy on line.

I have repeat customers from around the world. I just sent my 6th I think BPW set up to Okinawa. Service kits to a customer in Salmon Arm, British Columbia. Regs and BPW set ups to Singapore, Australia, Germany, Scotland, Ireland, and Spain.

I also have, what I have been told is, an excellent article on gear for the newer diver that I only need an email address to send it to. In addition to all of this I have relationships with shops around the country to get items I normally do not carry as a convenience to my customers. On some of those I may only make a dollar or two profit on an item but that's not important.

What is important is that I give you a one stop shopping experience. You may need to wait an extra day or two for it to ship but you'll be told that up front and the price will be worth the wait.

It also somewhat depends on where you live. I like my LDS as a place for air fills occasional scuba chats and local dive outings. If they go out of business I lose too.
I keep them honest with their pricing by always staying up on the items I am interested in. I buy from the LDS when I can but have also bought from DRIS who are really great to work with as well as ScubaToys.
Those who live on a coast with dozens of shops within a stones throw have different sets of choices. I've seen a lot of divers make ebay mistakes and I would avoid it for important gear.
Happy Diving.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom