SoFlorida: Looking to return to Diving... and NAUI/PADI questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I agree with Bob. If things come back to you after reading through an OW manual and a quick trip to the beach, consider taking a refresher. A full course could be worth it too, considering it's been so long since your last dive. Anyway, my lengthy answers to your questions:

1. Is it normal for beginner OW courses to be a "3 day, DVD-couple hours in the pool-couple of dives", kind of deal?
Every instructor has their own view on how thorough an OW course should be. All should theoretically meet the minimum standards set by the agency the instructor is associated with. With that said, your description matches my description of the "$99 craigslist special". To give a comparison, my standard course is a total of 8 days (every weekend for a month) and costs $699. The first 6 days are 6 hours long- 3 hours dedicated to classroom and 3 hours dedicated to pool time. The last two days are the open water dives. I still use the DVD / e-learning, but it's used as 'homework' during the weekdays. Shorter courses are offered, but only to private classes. Check out this thread for some questions to ask your instructor:
How to find an excellent SCUBA class

2. Is there anything I should be concerned about with regard to diving and smoking (I smoke maybe 7-10 cigarettes per day, otherwise in good health, about 5'8" 160, no conditions) - I've been looking to quit for a while now, and maybe this will give me the kind of push I need - but fact is I do smoke and have for 15-20 years or so now. Am I at some enhanced risk for DCI or other concerns?
YES! Smoking increases Carbon Monoxide levels in your body- never a good idea while diving. Studies have also shown that smokers are at higher risk for type II DCS vs type I (Read: "You're screwed" DCS vs painful DCS). Then theres the issue of damaged lungs + gas exchange, restricted blood flow, etc. I'm not saying you're going to die if you smoke and dive, but you'll definitely lower your risk by quitting. PLEASE READ THIS ARTICLE:
The Tobacco Effect

3. Is this a good time of year, generally speaking, conditions-wise in Florida to start diving?
Generally speaking, cold weather = better visibility than warm weather in the same location. I prefer to teach students in colder waters as it also increases the intensity of the mammalian diving reflex (Read: it's harder to breathe without a mask on in cold water). If you can no-mask dive in cold water you can do it in warm, but the reverse is not always true. With that said, it's all about your comfort and your future diving plans.

4. Any instructor recommendations in the Delray/ Boynton area in FL? (I can ask on the Florida forum specifically if thats more appropriate) And related question - is there any benefit or drawback to selecting NAUI over PADI or vice versa?
I believe Dave Ochs is around your area though I'm not sure what he's up to these days. Do a search for Aqua Safari Adventures...
Many instructors, including myself, teach for both agencies. A few of the skill requirements are different, though minimally so. NAUI instructors are given a little more freedom to go beyond minimal standards which is why I prefer to teach NAUI courses. I don't remember where I heard this but I find it to be rather accurate: PADI is the how of diving whereas NAUI is the why of diving. Ask a PADI instructor about buoyancy and be prepared to learn how to inflate / deflate your BCD. Ask a NAUI instructor the same thing and expect to get a lecture on Boyle's law and Archimedes principle.
Both agencies can produce quality divers- the difference is that one has a history of regularly producing them *Grabbing the popcorn now*. Jokes aside, the agency is nowhere near as important as the instructor. Find a quality instructor and it won't matter whether they teach NAUI, PADI, SSI, SDI, ANDI, IANTD, NASE, ...

5. Unrelated but curious - What's the benefit of using split fins? I've seen a lot of divers on youtube using these?
Tests in the lab and field have REPEATEDLY shown split fins to conserve energy and produce equivalent or more power than traditional paddle fins when using a dolphin or flutter kick. Older split fins had issues with over-kicking which would cause a loss of thrust, but nearly all of today's models are made to withstand the strongest currents / kicks. With that said, the preferred kick for most advanced divers is the frog kick- a kick where split fins are found severely lacking. Flutter kicks are like an airplane- they can go forward really fast with minimal maneuverability (turning, etc). Frog kicks are like a helicopter- you can go forwards, backwards, pivot on a dime, etc. Because the frog kick pushes water back and up, it significantly reduces the chance of a blackout in silty bottom conditions. Flutter kicks will push water down, encouraging a silt blackout. The type of diving you do and your physical condition will likely dictate what type of fin will work best for you.

Flutter kicks will push water down, encouraging a silt blackout.

Depends on the force and direction of the kick. I find that I can move along a muddy bottom without disturbing it by using the up stroke for power rather than the down stroke or both. Then again I have a real problem with a frog kick, and one must adapt.

Bob

I would also suggest that flutter kicks kicking up silt depends on the divers position in the water.

If the diver is properly buoyant, in good trim and horizontal, there will be minimal disturbance of the bottom unless the diver is within about 18 inches of it. If the diver is not in good trim (unless using a modified flutter/frog kick) it does not matter what kick you use as it will direct the force towards the bottom.

I like split fins. Much easier on my ankles. I'm pretty relaxed in the water, so I'm not concerned with fighting current or outracing dolphins or whatever it is that other fins allow one to do. I enjoy lazy diving.

i'm an instructor but was in the same boat :) a few years back. I did a NAUI class in college, was diving a few years then life got in the mix and i dropped out for 15 years. When i moved to florida i went on a dive and realized i needed to be "re-educated". So i actually did a refresh that was a full scuba OW class. and i'm glad i did.

what i and the shop i work with do, is we tailor a refresh program specifically for you. We'll give you either on-line academics or a classroom review session to figure out what gaps you may have. Then a pool session or 4 to check on and work on some skills. then we'll go to some open water dives (shallow beach and/or boat). all of this will even get you a brand new shiny c-card.

The key is always to find a great instructor. Not every instructor does well with refresh students. In my area that is huge. Many people here went diving when they were young and now want to return to the water in their 40's, 50's, 60's and even 70's. Feel free to PM me with any questions

This sounds like me, almost verbatim: got my JOW in 1990 from Ventura Dive & Sport with dives mostly around Anacapa, AOW in 1995, all my gear stolen in 1996 and it just took the wind out of my sails. Between work, being mostly broke, and other hobbies I haven't dove since until a week ago or so. Even moved to Florida 10 years ago. Dude, you're my doppelganger.

1) I don't know about NAUI but PADI's OW cert is mostly done online...which I suspect has the same net result as a DVD. As previously stated, the really important part of the equation is the instructor rather than the agency or location or really much else.

2) I smoked a pack a day before I quit diving way back when, and switched to vaping maybe four years ago. I never had any problems, even with deeper dives around Catalina. As far as I know the two main factors that increase your risk of DCS are excess adipose tissue and poor cardiovascular fitness...in other words, being fat and out of shape is bad. This sucks because, frankly, I'm fat and out of shape. But I'm working on that. At least my SAC rate is low enough that I'm not overly concerned about it.

3) I'm not sure about South Florida but up on the Panhandle it's pretty much time to hit the springs. All the boat operators are doing maintenance, and according to several folks to whom I spoke the conditions in the Gulf are utterly wretched right now. You may have better luck down south or on the Atlantic side though, I haven't looked over there lately.

5) They have an almost cult-like following...supposedly they're more efficient. Honestly I doubt they're really any better than my old Tusa X-10 Liberators were.

Hi Rob,

I have a story similar to yours. I was certified in 1970 by the LA County Underwater Unit, a rigorous OW course. One difference from you, I dived actively for about 10 years, mostly shore diving in LA, Orange, and San Diego Counties as well as some boat diving in Catalina.

I had a 17 year hiatus, 1980-1997. I was recertified, along with my 12 year old son, by PADI, in 1997. I probably could have gotten by with a refresher but the full course was very good and it was great sharing it with my son. My son and I still dive together today though my kid is now 30.

You live in a great location, I've had a home in Boynton Beach for nearly 5 years and do most of my diving in Boynton Beach, Jupiter, and at the BHB. I'm sure you can find yourself a good instructor to get you going again. After your refresher or recert, get yourself nitrox certified, consider AOW to remove the hassle involved in some of the deeper wreck dives in SE FL, and dive, dive, dive

Good diving, Craig

PS Yes, of course, quit smoking. I like paddle fins, better for alternative kicks, I spend most of my time frog kicking

2. Is there anything I should be concerned about with regard to diving and smoking (I smoke maybe 7-10 cigarettes per day, otherwise in good health, about 5'8" 160, no conditions) - I've been looking to quit for a while now, and maybe this will give me the kind of push I need - but fact is I do smoke and have for 15-20 years or so now.

Aside from what others say, I used to swim as a kid, then I used to smoke for some 20-25 years, then I wrecked my back and started swimming again. I still smoked when I got back to swimming. At that point I could swim maybe 15 yards underwater comfortably. Some 6-8 months after I quit that turned into 25 yards all on its own. I recently (it's been 5 years or so since I quit) got to sprint some 20-30 yards to catch a bus and, to my surprise, I caught myself not having a "breathing rate" when I got aboard. Or a heart rate -- as in "damn, my pulse and breathing are the same as they were before the sprint, that hasn't happened to me in a long time!"

So yeah. Quit.

5. Unrelated but curious - What's the benefit of using split fins? I've seen a lot of divers on youtube using these?

The blade tends to twist and slip sideways. When you don't do it right it can give you cramps very quickly, and when you do, you still need to work some rarely used muscles in the foot and ankle to keep the blade straight. The splits compensate by letting inside and outside halves flex independently -- less twisting is much easier on the ankles. Split fins proponents claim no loss of propulsion, I don't quite buy that, but the difference for basic recreational diving shouldn't be appreciable. As long as you don't frog-kick.

Aside from what others say, I used to swim as a kid, then I used to smoke for some 20-25 years, then I wrecked my back and started swimming again. I still smoked when I got back to swimming. At that point I could swim maybe 15 yards underwater comfortably. Some 6-8 months after I quit that turned into 25 yards all on its own. I recently (it's been 5 years or so since I quit) got to sprint some 20-30 yards to catch a bus and, to my surprise, I caught myself not having a "breathing rate" when I got aboard. Or a heart rate -- as in "damn, my pulse and breathing are the same as they were before the sprint, that hasn't happened to me in a long time!"

So yeah. Quit.

The blade tends to twist and slip sideways. When you don't do it right it can give you cramps very quickly, and when you do, you still need to work some rarely used muscles in the foot and ankle to keep the blade straight. The splits compensate by letting inside and outside halves flex independently -- less twisting is much easier on the ankles. Split fins proponents claim no loss of propulsion, I don't quite buy that, but the difference for basic recreational diving shouldn't be appreciable. As long as you don't frog-kick.

Finally, I generally agree with you!

Finally, I generally agree with you!

IIRC we only disagree on how much weight a new diver should put on the algorithm when choosing a dive computer. Was there something else I missed?

Back
Top Bottom