Scuba diver goes missing off Catalina Island

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just to be clear, YES, this is the role of the DM. Generally, they are at or near the gate and when a diver is ready to go, the DM notes the time in on a DM slate (column 1) and off they go. When they're back on board, they check in with the DM and time back is noted on the slate (column 2). When it's presumed everyone is back, then a roll call (visual, verbal, whatever) is conducted and a check mark placed in column 3 to note the diver has been accounted for.

Here's what ours looks like. 8.5x14" (legal size). 36 divers which includes DMs. Each diver (including DMs) has a number for the day. Four dives per page. "Hang Line" is a weighted line we hang off the back of the boat for safety stops and log in/out so we don't get it tangled in the props. "CR" is for any crew members that dive.
ReefSeekersDMslateJPG.jpg

- Ken
Mine is very similar, except I keep one at the entry point (in log) and a different one at the exit point (out log). Something must be written in every box (time, or ND) before the DM is allowed to leave the deck. Where Ken's says CR mine says CP for Captain.

Reactions: Jax

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

A number of Posts have been deleted, either because of blame storming or having referenced the deleted post. These Posts keep appearing despite a number of Mod Posts warning of the behaviour. The Moderation team will be looking further action should these Posts continue.

kelp is not an issue at this time, as there isn't much of it and certainly hardly any reaching the surface due to warm water for too log.
I'd like to make a simple debating point here about reading comprehension: I was (clearly I thought - but again apparently not) talking about GENERAL things we deal with in SoCal diving and how it may affect actions taken or not taken (in response to diverrex's question). NONE of it was directed specifically at this incident.

- Ken

Thanks. In my opinion, it's part of the root cause of the problem. If it benefits all divers by getting them to understand the type of operator they have picked, all the better. THE BOAT LEFT THE DIVE SITE WITH A DIVER IN THE WATER. Maybe you missed the point.

Actually, the purpose of the post is to discuss and analyze the accident as it happened. I happen to do data analysis and work with data sets as part of my occupation and believe me when I tell you that this is so ridiculous in terms of what it's setting out to accomplish as compared to what it has actually done. There is so much bias being brought into play here and so many assumptions, no one can ever learn anything from it. In all seriousness, do you equate dive accidents with moral turpitude? For the record, I know the people involved and in no way would ever describe them as immoral.

I know I'm treading on dangerous ground here with the moderators but I'm concerned with the people involved with this accident. They were and are people I've spent time with. This thread reminds me of old women gossiping about their neighbors. Talking about drift diving, interviews with paid witnesses, and moral sermons on the deck have nothing to do with this accident. If you want a plausible timeline for what happened to Laurel, reread Ken's hypothesis. If you want to fault the Captain and crew, fine. They made about as big a mistake as a dive boat can make.

Opining isn't analysis and speculating on the moral compass of someone you've never met isn't right.

Laurel is gone. RIP good girl. This thread goes on with the "Expert Witness" and others who continue to post basically the same posts.It seems that most divers simply seek to understand how a dive boat pulls away leaving a diver behind. Wookie has made the best posts.

As a diver trying to discuss this incident who doesn't know any of the parties involve, I get how hard and volatile a subject this is. Any of the theories, speculations, hypothesis, and possible causations posted here are just us trying to figure out the problem and come up with the solution. At this time, we do not have a clear, complete picture and time frame of what went on that day. There are just two facts that are established and nothing else. We are just trying to understand what happened, how it happened and to prevent/reduce the chances of it from happening to anyone again. That's not gossiping like a bunch of biased old women.

At this time, we do not have a clear, complete picture and time frame of what went on that day. There are just two facts that are established and nothing else. We are just trying to understand what happened, how it happened and to prevent/reduce the chances of it from happening to anyone again.

If you and others do not understand by now, there isn't much chance of you understanding.

1. **** happens.
2. Human error happens.
3. Procedures are in place, but they are nullified by #1 and #2.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you and others do not understand by now, there isn't much chance of you understanding.

1. xxxx happens.
2. Human error happens.
3. Procedures are in place, but they are nullified by #1 and #2.

Hence my proposal.

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

Since members are having a hard time following the rules this thread is closed to any further comment. If new substantial information comes to light a moderator may be contacted to reopen the thread.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom