Belize in Summer? A first-timer to Belize needs help!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

skigirl74

New
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hello---My husband and I are considering a trip this summer to Belize. Thoughts on weather or a specific month to go (June, July, or August)? Is this too risky a time, due to rain?

We are first-timers to Belize and could really use help with hotel and target location. We can fly from our home in Chicago directly to Belize City. Our main criteria is 1) not totally complicated to get to 2) upscale hotel--it doesn't have to be the Four Seasons, but not super budget 3) maybe a location that we could take day trips to do other activities

We are Open Water Certified and enjoy relaxing, laid back reef style diving. Hotel wise, we do like boutique-y sort of places---definitely nothing party-ish.

Much thanks and happy diving.

I've been enjoying late June, early July and have had far more rain disruptions in winter months than during that period. Later you're getting into hurricane season, though chances are good you'll encounter no problems during July and August. I've not been during mid-July to late October.

We LOVE August in San Pedro. It is usually dry, not so crowded that it is unpleasant, but not so slow that nothing is open. We usually go for the first 2 weeks in August. If you want any recommendations, PM me.

I've been to Belize a number of times and have always gone in either June, July or August. Great time to go because it's the relatively slow season. You may have some rain but chances are very good that it won't be a problem. If it rains, it will probably be overnight and will dry up in the morning.

As far as recommendations, it would help to know your target area. Most folks go to Ambergris Caye, which has more of everything as in accommodations, dive ops, bars, restaurants and people. Some head for the atoll, where there are some high end resorts that are pretty pricey but keep in mind they're inclusive (except alcohol). Others head further south, like Hopkins or, my favorite, Placencia, which have the advantage of being on the mainland if you're interested in checking out the jungle, Mayan ruins and the like.

I suggest getting a guide book to help you decide where to go. My favorite is the Belize (Insight Guides): Insight Guides: 9789812589958: Amazon.com: Books, which is out of print but still reasonably up to date and you can pick up for a penny.

As far as getting around, the easiest and quickest way is to use a puddle jumper, either Maya or Tropic. Both fly all over the country. If you stay on the atoll, you would be picked up and dropped off at the airport and taken the resort boat to your caye.

Belize is a small country, think Massachusetts, but it's still a big and diverse place with a lot to offer. As far as accommodations, there will be lots of places that fit your wish list wherever you go.

Last edited:
was in san pedro in may and when you walked out the door it was slap in the face hot. I think the point you are missing is you go to belize when the snow is blowing in chicago

I find that in August San Pedro is NOT as hot as Philadelphia in general. Many of the visitors in the summer months seem to be from Texas. They have told me that they are escaping the heat in Texas. Take that for what its worth.

What Downing said. I've lived in Belize for 16 years and he knows more about this place than I do !!

Back
Top Bottom