Time to hydro tanks?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The VCI done before the hydro is "unofficial" since the tank can't be approved for the VCI if the hydro is out of date. It is done before the hydro simply to check the tank to make sure that it would pass the VCI inspection since there is no sense of sending it for a hydro if it is going to fail the VCI test. The formal VCI is done after the hydro and is recorder properly with the new current hydro test.

A distinction without a difference. With the possible exception of the threads on an AL tank what will be the difference. Even then, with the AL tanks, DOT has not found it necessary to modify their procedures, although I don't know when, in the hydro procedures, the VE test is done on AL SP tanks.

Just because a private company has instituted a procedure to insure their graduates and dive shops get paid regardless of the legality or necessity of the procedure, does not make the tank safer than following the DOT procedures, which is what they say they train their students to do.

Bob

My local hydro shop claims to be able to do the hydro without tanking off the valve using some xray machine magic. I brought an o2 tank to them they had it hydroed and filled with 02 in about 3 weeks. They have to send the tank out of town for an ABO O2 fill so that was two of those weeks. When I dropped my pony off with the LDS who then took it to the same hydro shop it took 3 months to get it back from the dive shop.

Yeah finally got a reply. There are still being hydro'd 180 miles away.

My local hydro shop claims to be able to do the hydro without tanking off the valve using some xray machine magic. I brought an o2 tank to them they had it hydroed and filled with 02 in about 3 weeks. They have to send the tank out of town for an ABO O2 fill so that was two of those weeks. When I dropped my pony off with the LDS who then took it to the same hydro shop it took 3 months to get it back from the dive shop.

Ultrasonic testing. It is harder to find a place that does that type of testing though

Ultrasonic Examination (UE) | FIBA Technologies, Inc.

Now I'm pissed. I STILL have not only not got them back, but not even a reply. I've sent several texts and called with no reply. What am I supposed to do? Open a small claims case? What an absolutely D bag.

1) Never seen a shop with hours like that. Not much business in your area or something?
2) My usual place takes 2-3 days to hydro. The other takes about a week.

1) Never seen a shop with hours like that. Not much business in your area or something?
2) My usual place takes 2-3 days to hydro. The other takes about a week.
I've lived here over year and I don't think I've ever seen the shop open. By appointment only call first...makes me wonder if he even had business licenses or what... Considering we are 30 miles from the ocean id imagine business wouldn't be that hard. I mean right now I'm sitting in the desert of Az and the dive shop is open 6 days a week.

I called some other shops. I understand locally back home hydro is a bit backed up but not that long. For several weeks now I've wanted them back regardless of the stage they're at. I'll take them elsewhere for a damn visual.

Here are a few contacts to check out dates. Not counting the calls and messages in between..

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom