Help me choose - Regs for Ice Dives

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm pondering an Ice Diving Class/Cert through my LDS in the upcoming months. Looking at my regulator collection, and trying to decide what might be a good choice. Give me your thoughts based on these options:

SP MK-17 paired with either G250, G250V, or and all metal 156 (liking the all metal)
Poseidon Xtreme
HOG D1-Cold/Classisc
Argonaut Kraken Double Hose

All of these would be on a set of doubles or y-valved single to add redundancy, and a slung pony is an option too....

Yes, my class should address it, but I want some outside perspective to balance what they "sell"....

Thanks!

A double hose regulator like the Kraken keeps the first and second stage dry. Even your exhaled air goes out the left hose.

The first and second stage are also in a metal body with good heat transfer to the surrounding water.

DH regulators are notorious for being extremely freeze resistant. The Royal Aqua Master was used in Antarctica until 1992 (almost 20 years after they were discontinued). AFAIK they quit using them because they started having problems because of lack of service parts.

I have used a Phoenix and a Kraken under the ice. I have intentionally push the limits on both and only once did I get my Phoenix to freeze after I semi-intentionally induced a free-flow. The regulator had water inside the can, that should not have been there. This incident can be described as a double malfunction.

I have taken the Kraken under the ice with no problems and again, I tried to get to freeze but it didn’t.

I do not have extensive experience ice diving, but Swimjim (at VDH) has taken his Kraken ice diving many more times than I have.

Once you get the new DSV mouthpiece, you will also add one more layer of protection to avoid any moisture in the hose loop. That would make it virtually impossible for any moisture to get past the check valves and back into the mechanism.

For the alternate, the Scubapro metal BA is also as freeze resistant as you will find. Pair it up with a sealed diaphragm first stage and you have an excellent alternate.

I forgot to mention, another advantage of a double hose regulator while ice diving is that the inhalation air will feel noticeably warmer. Since the first and second stage are in the back, the ambient breathing air will mix with the fresh air already in the intake hose and it has a little bit of time to warm up before inhaling it.

Last edited:
be careful with the hogseidons if you go deep. They work fine at most recreational depths, but at 3-4ata, there is a noticeable increase in cracking pressure due to the overbalancing

be careful with the hogseidons if you go deep. They work fine at most recreational depths, but at 3-4ata, there is a noticeable increase in cracking pressure due to the overbalancing
I use them for river work, they excel for what I use them for. High current, shallow depth. Very very cold water.
I am down to only three poseidon first stages in my posession. I just sold a ton on ebay, good riddance.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom