Diving/volunteer work

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jonny87

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
None - Not Certified
Hi guys/girls, first post :)

I am planning a trip to s.e Asia from June onwards, I'm really keen on getting involved in some volunteer work (marine related of course) and getting some dives under my belt.

Currently in the process of completing my padi open water course here in the uk and have dived several times abroad, mainly Egypt.

Have read about the turtle conservation programmes in Thailand but don't want to pre book anything whilst here as my dates for going are subject to changes, I also believe it would be cheaper to arrange once in country?

Thanks in advance :)

Take into account that any volunteer diving work will be illegal and can get you into legal trouble. For work a workpermit is required.

I've just been reading up on this, how ridiculous that the thai government make it so hard to volunteer :(

Guess I will have to just enjoy the diving on offer instead :)

Thanks

Reactions: h90
Oh my god!! I don't know if I should laugh at that story or not!

Was going to put some playing cards in my bag but don't think il bother now haha

Always knew the Thais were strict but that is taking it a tad far!

Anyway back on topic, forgetting the volunteer stuff then how much could I expect to pay for my diving in Thailand? I know there's lots of variables so let's use a full day trip with 4-6 dives included and I will need hire of ALL kit. Just want ball park figures so I can budget for them :)

Where?

In general: Andaman Sea the best diving, Gulf of Thailand the cheapest.

That's why I said ball park figures as I don't really know where I will be going, I will be flying into Bangkok and more than likely work my way down the east coast from there towards Malaysia

Anyway back on topic, forgetting the volunteer stuff then how much could I expect to pay for my diving in Thailand? I know there's lots of variables so let's use a full day trip with 4-6 dives included and I will need hire of ALL kit. Just want ball park figures so I can budget for them :)
I could be wrong but you're more likely to find day trips with 3 dives per day at best. 4 might be possible but 6? Good luck. That said, I only have a little experience with day trips from Phuket and Krabi. I'm more often on a LOB out of Khao Lak where 4 dives per day is the norm.

I could be wrong but you're more likely to find day trips with 3 dives per day at best. 4 might be possible but 6? Good luck. That said, I only have a little experience with day trips from Phuket and Krabi. I'm more often on a LOB out of Khao Lak where 4 dives per day is the norm.
I presume the OP meant '4-6 dives in 2 days'. Because yes, afaik there is one trip offering 4 dives on the day, but the standard is 2 or 3. The price indication I gave is per day BTW.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom