Divemaster Stress Test!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

We jumped in the pool for a few practice sessions leading up to the skills circuit and stress test.

Starting with each other gear first then swapping fins, BCDs then finishing up with the masks worked well. The masks were left to last as I found it difficult to keep my breathing rhythm if I started with the mask swap.

Biggest thing I learnt from the stress test is I don't last long without air before I get nervous and itchy for a breath. I need to work on that, maybe an entry level free diver course will assist

We jumped in the pool for a few practice sessions leading up to the skills circuit and stress test.

Starting with each other gear first then swapping fins, BCDs then finishing up with the masks worked well. The masks were left to last as I found it difficult to keep my breathing rhythm if I started with the mask swap.

Biggest thing I learnt from the stress test is I don't last long without air before I get nervous and itchy for a breath. I need to work on that, maybe an entry level free diver course will assist
Interesting. I always figure myself to be not too good time wise at holding my breath (well, "blowing bubbles" of course). But my buddy on the exchange commended me on how much I got done before requesting the reg from him. Maybe some of that is mental.

When you think about it. Even someone with pretty average lungs can last for 30 seconds holding their breath.
You can get a LOT done in 30 seconds.

When I did my 'stress test' my buddy bolted the first time around. We discussed avoiding wasted motion ( deliberate task focused action) and better synchronisation on the breathing (smooth hand offs and monitoring your buddies comfort) The stress didn't need to be internal as well as the external.... had the gear swap checklist in mind, hands robotic (from fun practices on our own time) and then just focus on clarity and breathing.

Well that's what helped me.

If you guys keep calling it a stress test, it might very well stress you. It is NOT a stress test, for heaven's sake. It is a chance for you to show off some relaxation during a problem-solving exercise. Keep in mind it is perfectly OK to just sit there, exchanging nothing, and get your breathing back in the groove. Then do just one thing while the reg is not in your mouth. Wait until the next time the reg is out of your mouth to do the next little thing. Slow is smooth, smooth is fast.

Any instructors want to list what they look for in grading this now (when I did it it was pass/fail). Is there any weight given to speed? Is confusion and lack of a set plan considered? What sort of leeway is given if the participants are of vastly different size? When I did it for the course, my buddy and I were the same size--couldn't have gone smoother or quicker. Later when an instructor asked me to do it with a candidate she was very small and it took a fair bit longer and wasn't as smooth (but I'm the same guy--the constant).

Remember that you're going to be the professional in charge of students safety.The idea is that you can deal with whatever comes up. If you panic who's going to be there for the student? You need to be as comfortable in the water as you are in your living room.

Free diving courses are not a bad way to achieve that level of comfort. It's a great way to learn to deal with increased CO2 levels and keep your composure.

Any instructors want to list what they look for in grading this now (when I did it it was pass/fail). Is there any weight given to speed? Is confusion and lack of a set plan considered? What sort of leeway is given if the participants are of vastly different size? When I did it for the course, my buddy and I were the same size--couldn't have gone smoother or quicker. Later when an instructor asked me to do it with a candidate she was very small and it took a fair bit longer and wasn't as smooth (but I'm the same guy--the constant).

Page 110 of your Instructor Manual "Equipment Exchange".

No, there is no evaluation for time. Evaluation is based on ease, efficiency, anxiety level, among others. Speed is not one of them.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom