Buying a Petrel 2 or Perdix

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My dive shop keep holding off on ordering and I'm about to just order it online.

A shop that won't order one for an actual order is likely having financial issues with the resultant credit problems. Or they aren't actually dealers...

I'd give them one more opportunity, but I suspect that you're not going to get the thing anytime soon. You have lots of good alternatives.

Sounds like maybe John Beach's lds shouldn't still be in business. Those things have a way of sorting themselves out eventually.

They are backordered for weeks per one dive shop. I bought the last one I found on Amazon with Prime a couple of days ago, should arrive tomorrow.

LOL. I got the perdix, and it's flashing red on the PO2 warning me I'm using a hypoxic gas with a PO2 of .17. Which is the air in my living room because I live at ~5500 feet.

You can't go wrong with Shearwater no matter which model you choose. Only difference between the Petrel 1 and 2 is the compass as far as I know. I own 2 Petrels and don't foresee myself ever owning anything other than Shearwater. Their customer service is outstanding and the computer is incredibly user friendly. You can find Petrels at a really good price right now with the Perdix being released. I have seen some as low as $450. If your not in a hurry then I would say wait a few weeks and you can find one for the right price.

LOL. I got the perdix, and it's flashing red on the PO2 warning me I'm using a hypoxic gas with a PO2 of .17. Which is the air in my living room because I live at ~5500 feet.

The PO2 Low warning is the first thing I had to change on both of mine. However I believe that there is a firmware update that will change the default.

The PO2 Low warning is the first thing I had to change on both of mine. However I believe that there is a firmware update that will change the default.

No, no firmware update. When you live at altitude, there actually is less PPO2. When I got my Predator, it did the same, many years ago.

Actually, it is funny -- when people come to my location to train, their first perception is "who stole all the Oxygen????"

If I were buying new I'd probably get the Perdix due to its size. I don't see any reason to sell my Petrel 2 just to go a tad thinner though.

BTW DRIS has them in stock. I was there yesterday comparing the two.

It never occurred to me that the Petrel/Perdix doesn't have a wet sensor as some other computers do.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom