Need info for South Red Sea

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jfbellemare

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hi

Im a dive master and im planning to do a live aboard on the south red sea at the end of june or early july.

From what I read, the "simply the best" itinerary is the best to see the big stuff?

when is the best time to go?

Is there an company that anyone recommend or that I should avoid?

Will El nino affect fish migration?

How's the security in that part of Egypt?

If anyone has any info about those questions, It would be greatly appreciated

JF

I was at Elphinstone and Daedalus in early December. We saw hammerheads, lots of oceanic white tips and some tiger sharks off in the distance. Those dives were all drifts along walls, coming off into the blue to try to find the hammerheads. The oceanic white tips would find us. Dolphins were seen too.

The exact dives would depend on the current direction on the day. This means that some of the flowery text the travel agents use does not apply as the risk of drifting off the reef may preclude diving particular places when you are there.

Being walls the light and colour depends on the time of day. When we did a couple of shallow reefs on the last day I was glad of the change. More colour, less current and no need to be looking behind you for the oceanics.

We went with Scuba Travel on Hurricane. It was all perfectly fine, included nitrox, the boat is slightly tired but not in any way that maters.

As yet there have been no security issues down in Marsa Alam, I was there twice last year, the other time shore based, and saw nothing untoward.

Have fun, it is definitely a good trip.

I've done 4 BDE liveaboard. The ones where I saw the more sharks were in late July and early August [this is just my personal experience, it shouldn't be seen as a general rule].
On the several companies I've used, my favourite is Diving Attitude. I've used them 4 times so far and will do 2 liveaboard this year with them.
At the moment, I don't think there are security concerns when doing a liveaboard.

if you want sharks at brothers then november- jan

daedalus i believe is in the cooler months for hammerheads

we had mantas in the south in june.

i'm going out on the hurricane from port ghalib, flying into marsa alam in may so can comment on security once i'm back

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom