dive package stay with good internet

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

luk

Registered
Reaction score
I'm looking into going to Utila for about a week, diving in the morning and working from noon on. Could you please recommend a dive package with a stay that has good internet?

if you want to be close to the north side, are happy with very basic accommodations and aren't looking for partying in the evenings, i would recommend utila cays diving. they go to the north side every day, take a maximum of 8 divers on their boat and they are located on pigeon cay so they much closer to the northside than the dive centers in town. if you want to party/socialize in the evenings you should stay in utila town, good dive centers in town include coral view divers, altons and udc as well as the bay islands college of diving recommended by the poster above. or consider staying at one of the resorts (not in town), i like utopia more than any other place on the island (other than the pineapple house and the coral house on treasure beach, which are my favorite rentals on utila) but lagunna beach is decent resort and has a good dive op.

Just spent pretty much the month of January at Altons.. As for good wifi.. Hit or miss on the island. Some days it was blazing fast, some days I gave up trying to upload anything. I stayed in their hostel which was perfectly adequate, and there's wifi near the office (would be nice out on the dock, but thats for socializing lol). Was nice because its on the strip, but away from the big bars so you can sleep at night. Free accommodations if you dive, and morning north side trips made me happy, and we did have several whale shark sitings (including one where Alton was fishing and radioed back that he found one, at which point a boat was sent out with a bunch of resort guests and employees just to swim with the whale shark!). Usually you look for them on your surface interval, but you could be lucky and get one before your first dive, then find a pod of dolphins to swim with for the surface interval (yeah that was an epic day)..

As inferred above, if your afternoons require your certain access to the Internet for any critical reason, I wouldn't bank on it. There is no predictability, sometimes yes, sometimes no. The problem lies in the circuitous microwave link to the mainland, not really an issue of localized wifi.

If your internet needs involve high finance (like kiting checks, or other similar time critical maneuvers), whirled peas or saving babies, might want to go to a different rock in the Mar Caribe. It's a paradise, but on the edge of the grid.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom