Custom Checklists

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

oya

Rebreather Pilot
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
5000 - ∞
Plagued with a gnarly bout of insomnia tonight (well, last night, now) I've been tweaking my checklist for a little while.

Leaving aside the fact that obviously everyone religiously uses a checklist each and every time, I'm wondering how many people use the "official" checklist, be it a manufacturer's or a training agency's vs. how many people use their own.

Then of those of you who use your own, just how comprehensive is it?
Do you rock a million steps, like "218) Lightly grease the O-ring on the inhale hose. 219) Lightly grease the o-ring on the exhale hose?"
Or are you more a "Gases on, LP buttons work, Pre-breathe" sort of person?

I'm curious to see what people cook up.
As a gesture of good-faith curiosity, mine's attached.
(I claim no responsibility whatsoever for its safety/correctness. Follow your training, etc. etc. If you think following some anonymous schmuck from the internet's checklist is going to keep you safe, well... yeah... your flowchart is already a bit flawed.)

I'm still new to the rEvo, but I simplified the checklist a bit. The checklist I got had a flowchart for the older rEvodream so I added a new flowchart and simplified it a bit (combining similar actions).

I still use the small predive checklist that is attached to a bolt snap. I find that acts as a nice final reminder. I put it on the rebreather harness as part of my build then before I splash, it gets tossed in my milk crate.

How to build a checklist is very standardized in aviation industry.
What you need to understand is that the checklist is not address to the plumber that knows nothing about rebreathers but to a certified diver.
The reason why those are not used is because contain items like
"218) Lightly grease the O-ring on the inhale hose. 219) Lightly grease the o-ring on the exhale hose"

Checklists need to be organized in dive phases:
Assembly
Pre-dive
Before entering water
Inter-dive
Post dive
Pre-storage

Also those are check list not to do list (do what you know you have to do and THEN check you did all there is on the list)
I also have checklists for dive phase (I do not use them while diving but during pre-dive planning are memory aid for the descend, bottom, pre-ascent, deco, emergency). They are in my wet note and if anxiety hits, can make sure I forgot nothing.

When you do thing and then read the checklist item you will realize something is amiss.

My typical items are:

Pre-Dive Prep

1. NOT-CO2 Battery charged
2. Lid Remove
3. Battery Check
4. Battery cover Fully tighten
5. Cell dates within 18 months
6. Canister Clean and dry
7. Cartridge Remove

NOTE
Pulling by cable will damage it.
Grab handle and pull – Save oring and spacer in safe/clean place

8. Retaining Nut Remove and save
9. Spring pressure plate Remove
10.Scrims Clean and undamaged
11.Top scrim properly seated
12.Sofnolime fill to 6 mm from top

WARNING
Ensure sofnolime is in date and has been properly stored
Do not reuse removed absorbent

13.Bottom scrim install
14.Pressure spider install
15.Centre hand wheel finger tight
16.Absorbant ensure properly packed
17.Cartridge install in canister and
ensure free sprig loaded movement
18. O-Ring undamaged/lubricate/install
19.Spacer undamaged/install
20.Lid connect tempstick/store cable
21.Lid position and verify spring load
22.Lid Close

Scrubber duration

1. Depth>50m 100min
2. Depth>20m 140min
3. Max Duration 180min

Assembly and pre dive tests were a huge part of the class, but there was no checklist provided in my rebreather course. I think there should have been. A friend of mine created one and I modified it a bit, but this is what a checklist should probably look like for a pscr. There are no electronics, but 4 one-way valves that are all super important. The checklist tests the integrity of the double bellows system, the gas injectors, all 4 of those one-way valves, and the rebreather in its entirety in a way that I think is simple and logical. The stuff after the (?) tells what you should find on the test. For example, on the first one, if you plug the inner bellows you shouldn't be able to expand or compress it. I find it to be helpful.

Assembly

Date:

Inner Bellows
Plug ends - Compress? (NO) Expand? (NO)
Inner bellow mushroom valve Install, plug bottom end - Compress? (NO) Expand? (YES)
Inner bellow OPV Plug top end - Compress? (YES) Expand? (NO)

Outer Bellows
Plug plenum - Compress (YES) Expand (NO)

Scrubber (assembled)
Cap inlets, compress bellows, leave upright - Expand? (NO)

Injectors
Install regulator, pressurize, connect switchblock QD, open switchblock valves, close tank valve - Pressure drop? (NO)

Final Assembly
Date:

BOV mushroom valves
Plug inhalation (R) side - Inhale? (NO) Exhale? (YES)
Plug exhalation (L) side - Inhale? (YES) Exhale? (NO)

Loop
Install loop, install right post regulator, connect right LP hose to BOV, pressurize. OK?

Pre-Dive
Date:

RB80 (assembled)
Close BOV, compress bellow, leave upright - Expand? (NO)

Injectors
Connect switchblock QD, open switchblock valves, close left post valve - SPG pressure drop? (NO)

Wing inflator
Connected QD at switchblock? YES

Open all valves, test BOV, backup, and primary regulators

I follow the rEvo check list religiously it contains a post build (closed check) and pre-jump check list which fits neatly on small 8 by 9cm slate which is always clipped off on to my unit. When I did my rEvo course we did not use a build check list (I understand these have been introduced since) and have not seen a need for one since as find any problems with build are revealed during the closed check.

Compared to check lists I have seen for some other units the rEvo check list is very simple, the way a check list should be.

I'm torn about the rEvo card.
On the one hand, I really dig the idea of having something concrete to go over right before getting in the water.
(Especially with a constant flow unit something to remind you to turn your O2 back on goddamn it!)
On the other hand, I really don't like having extra things on me... things that don't serve any function at all on the dive.

I'm torn about the rEvo card.
On the one hand, I really dig the idea of having something concrete to go over right before getting in the water.
(Especially with a constant flow unit something to remind you to turn your O2 back on goddamn it!)
On the other hand, I really don't like having extra things on me... things that don't serve any function at all on the dive.

I take mine off once th checklist is complete and leave it on the boat, makes the unit cleaner.

Reactions: oya
i wrote ours. the one that came with the unit was…not good. it wasn't actually for this unit but the scr version and had things like unpacking it out of the box. i'd be glad to send it to you, roger, if you'd like to look at it. hit me up on fb if you want a copy.

Hi

For examples that might be of interest, here are a few links to various unit specific pre & post dive assembly and test check lists I have constructed available on the downloads section of my website www.haynesmarine.com:

http://www.haynesmarine.co.uk/images/stories/VisionChecksV1.9.pdf

http://www.haynesmarine.co.uk/images/stories/megcheck.pdf

http://www.haynesmarine.co.uk/images/stories/classic-checklist.pdf

http://www.haynesmarine.co.uk/images/stories/A Survival Guide To Rebreather Diving Nov 2011.pdf

Regarding a checklist before diving, after over 20 years of instructing rebreathers, to eliminate divers putting a 'dead' rig on their back, I have evolved and teach the pre-breathe protocol mnemonic LCE BID:

Stage 1:

Before donning the rebreather, conduct the following:

L: Loop (still gas tight? No: repeat positive and negative pressure tests)

C: Cylinders (slowly open all cylinders, confirm gas pressures and no obvious leaks)

E: Electronics (switch on and observe start up sequence / alarm tests, listen for solenoid function)

Stage 2:

Assuming all is well to this point, the rebreather may be donned then conduct the following:

B: Breathing (confirm BOV function, commence breathing from the loop)

I: Inflators (confirm O2 / dil MAVs, ADV, BC, drysuit inflation)

D: Displays (confirm stable PO2, sensors, HUD, deco computer settings)

Always conduct a thorough pre-breathe before entering the water and above all else confirm a safe and stable PO2.

As Paul mentions, having a short, easy to remember mnemonic is a good way to be consistent, and to run through it every time.

Also, as fsardone mentions, checklists thrive in the world of aviation :D I am also a pilot (private, IR). Even then, I use mnemonics for almost everything.

b.

Back
Top Bottom