Dive Trips as a Solo Diver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ive been travelling diving solo for a decade and have only once had a problem with an op refusing to take out a single diver - understandable as it was not cost effective for him to go out with one diver. The only other option on the island (Bora Bora) have their cattle boat so I ended up diving with them - I normally do call ahead and organise diving before I leave but I didnt really intend to go to Bora Bora to dive in the first place.
In Thailand you will be grouped into pairs (your girlfriend) sometimes there may be three or four divers with one guide. I wouldn't be too precious about asking to vet the skills of other divers if you are alone.
What usually happens to me when im diving somewhere remote *not thailand* is if there are no other divers or two other divers I end up buddied with the DM/Guide. Works for me.

Breaking the issue down into some points, I think it looks like this:

1.) Do you have to dive with a buddy?
-----If not, can you follow a guide on a group dive?
-----If not, can you dive solo? If so, are there requirements?

2.) Will the dive op. assign you a buddy if required/desired?

The answers vary by region and operator.

From what I've seen in the Caribbean, with warm, high viz. diving with a lot of tourists, some rather new or very occasional divers, guide-led group diving is common. Some people are content with this; some insist on a buddy pair (or trio).

From what I've read about California, it's likely you can dive buddied or solo; if you want a buddy, get yourself one. I imagine this varies with different operators, though.

Dive op. attitudes/practices/requirements for outright solo diving aren't your interest and probably not work veering off into right now.

Richard.

Back
Top Bottom