non-dive op shore sites?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I remember diving in the 90s on a rebreather at a tarpon feeding time outside a restaurant at night. Can't remember which one.

Thank you in advance.
Shell

Maybe at rackams? Many tarpon that they feed on (I think) Tuesday night but the tarpon are always there. We were snorkeling and also went out to the wreck just a little ways out pretty shallow so might not be where you were remembering.

Oceanfront Restaurant & Bar in Grand Cayman | Club and Lounge in Grand Cayman | Dining in Grand Cayman

They also used to feed tarpon at the wharf 9 PM every night. You could have been there.

They also used to feed tarpon at the wharf 9 PM every night. You could have been there.

They still do, from last April

Not sure I would want to be in the water anywhere near that feeding frenzy.

If you are boat diving, hopefully the weather will allow for a day or two out on the north. IMO, much better walls than the west.

Thanks all. We head out today and winds are pretty high so we may be skunked on the boat dives. We shall see.
Macabuca/sun divers=Cracked conch in the 90s I believe lol. The Wharf sounds right for the nightly tarpon feeding.

We had been to the dive op shore sites so was looking to explore non-dive op shore sites. Not trying to take money away from dive ops...just looking to see if there was anywhere else to try.

Where is the Spanish bay reef? That doesn't ring any bells. We are staying at Lighthouse in west bay.
Love coconut bay (we stayed there in august and agree it was our favorite shore divesite!!
Appreciate the link for shore sites, saw 2 that could be fun to try.
Last question: where do you enter the water for the wharf feeding? Right there where everyone is selling fish? Or am I thinking of wrong spot?

Oh wait, I lied...cheapest place to get beer? :)
Shell
Shell

Spanish Bay reef is off shore where Spanish Bay Resort used to be, just east of Papagayo Condos.
Just east of Cobalt Coast. Topography very similar to Cobalt Coast so I would go in the water there instead. Dock, rinse tanks, pool and bar. If windy, probably not diveable.

Wind does not preclude boat diving. There is always a leeward shore. If really rough, the west bay boats would leave from Red Bay and dive south.

The last shore operation to pull up their ladder tends to be sunset house. They have a sheltered salt water pool that connects to the ocean, so you can often enter/exit there when the other west side sites are blown out.

As far as cheap beer, no such thing on GC. Lonestar, however has a happy hour, and you can buy a bucket there or Coconut Joe's pretty much any other time.

We did Babylon from shore last year. It was about a 20 minute kick out lying on my back, but it was a rewarding dive. We actually descended on the dive site just east of Babylon and swam to it. It is impressive seeing the pinnacle suddenly loom into sight.

There is a pull-off on which you can park. If you know where Babylon is it is a pretty easy place to find. Be sure to watch the weather conditions (both current and forecast) in case something kicks up. It can be a long dive when the surface swims in and back are added to the bottom time and it would be brutal to have some seas kicking up on the way back to shore.

Back
Top Bottom