Where to buy gear

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I guess one day I would like to be an instructor or divemaster, I know that cost a lot of money. Whatever gear I buy I want to be able to get serviced locally and not have to send it off. I'm a college student and don't have much resourses to do so. The shop I took my openwater through was really helpful, but they only sold one brand of gear. There is just way to many choices.

With all the online stores how do I know which one to buy from. Here is the list so far. Divers Direct, Leisure Pro, Dive For Less, Dive Right in Scuba, Divers Supply.. What do you guys think is the best one to buy from. Thanks in advanced.

I have used and recommend these retailers who sell nationwide:
- Dive Gear Express
- Divers Supply
- UDM Aquatics (see Jim Lapenta's post upthread)

In general I find that Dive Gear Express has the best prices and has a good website, easy to find stuff, many informative articles. Divers Supply has a broader range of products. UDM Aquatics is my preferred source for regulators.

I have heard nothing but good things about DRIS but have never bought anything from them myself.

I have also used Leisure Pro for specific items and have not had any problems.

I have purchased specific items, used, from eBay and craigslist, although this must be done with great care.

I would very much like to support my local dive shops but the combination of inventory, price, and service isn't close to what the nationwide retailers provide.

At this point, there are no bad decisions for you because you don't have your preferences developed. Get what you are comfortable with and can afford. You can replace/upgrade later -- and you will if you stick with it. No matter what you get or where you get it, you are going to be happier with your own gear. Listening to us trying to help you make the "right" decision on what and where is mostly noise and is probably just making things even more confusing. Take it for what it is. It seems like you should probably just work with your LDS and let the wallet drive your decisions. They will work with you. You will not end up with "bad" gear and you have a lot of time ahead of you to make changes based on what you learn that you like and don't like. Good luck!

Thank you to everyone that has replied. Scuba board is an awesome place to come learn from, to bad I couldn't have learned how to dive on here.

Where you live I'd take a day and drive to Divers Supply in Charlotte. They're recommended here often and sell almost all of the known good brands we talk about here. Touch the gear, try it on - there's sometimes subtle differences like hose routings or BC fit that aren't apparent until you do. Even small things like reg mouthpieces can be different.

The one with them to stay away from is Sea Elite even though the pricing is attractive. It's their house brand and only serviceable there. Especially their octo since no one else can likely get parts for it.

Last edited:
Whatever gear I buy I want to be able to get serviced locally and not have to send it off. I'm a college student and don't have much resourses to do so.

That pretty much narrows it down to Divers Supply. They are an on-line dealer who claims it will beat any price from any of the stores you've mentioned, and they have a dive shop close to you for service, repairs, and maybe guidance. You can shop on line and they'll deliver it so you don't have to drive to the shop unless you want to.
I'm not particularly loyal to any on-line dealer.
(Well maybe a few in FL,IL, and NY, but they're a long-ass drive from Shelby)

Last edited:
I'm a fan of local the local LDS (and LBS, for that matter) and try to shop there when I can. I realize that they have additional costs (lights, staff, rent, etc.) and I appreciate that I can talk to someone who (hopefully) knows their stuff and that I can put my hands on whatever widget I'm looking to buy. As well, post-sale service and training has some value to me. However, my largesse only goes so far-- my own general rule is that if I can get something from my LDS within about 10-15% of what I'd pay online (and I usually consider shipping and tax to be a wash), they'll get my business. However, if they try to take advantage of me on price, I'll take my business elsewhere; I've been diving long enough that I pretty much know what I want and have enough experience that I can reasonably research something online. The reality of the modern sales model is that the internet marketplace is here to stay, and brick and mortar shops need to accept that and change their business methodology accordingly.

One other thing that I tend to believe is that if the LDS can get their price low enough for me to pull the trigger, they'll still be making money in the long run. I'll come by for widgets (retractors, masks, booties, etc.) that are just not worth buying online and will also tend to use the LDS for vacation planning (assuming they have a travel desk) and refresher training for my wife-- treat me right, and I'll be loyal (within reason). Try to screw me over for a quick sale, and I'm out the door.

Just my 0.02.

R.

Last edited:
DGX, DRISS, LP, DS, all have "brick and mortar" stores with overhead.

Quick up date, I am still looking for a good BCD, Octo, and Gauge/Computer at a reasonable price, and one that I can take locally for repairs. I made a leap of faith and purchased a regulator from Dive For Less, its a Rover 15X regulator set, according to my instructor this is the same one I used during training. Hopefully this will be a good regulator for me. I called the shop that I certified through and compared prices with them and the online shops that I listed. The shop was the highest, but Dive For Less beat everybody's prices. I also asked the shop I got certified through if they could service my regulator and they said yes. Any suggestions on octopus and gauge/computer, I am still on a limited budget. Thanks for everyones help.

If you haven't yet, I highly recommend requesting and reading Jim Lapenta's gear guide. I think it was the single best set of gear-buying advice that I received.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom