New Regulator Advice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

So I've done a ton of reading from about four different "Regulator Buying Guides" for 2015, along with reviews of the top models, trying to stay around $300, or less. I'd like some of the special features without sacrificing quality. Like solid manufacturer, good reputation, adjust. 2nd stage, swivel connect, 2 HP ports (I have an AI transmitter and want to allow for a backup hosed SPG). Don't wanna skimp, but aint rich either, heh.

Here's one with no swivel:

photo

MISSED CYBER MONDAY? NO WORRIES!

Now only $149 - while supplies last! This is our best price ever!

Hollis Regulator - DC3 and 212

Built with the same quality as the DC1 Hollis Gear Regulator, without the swivel turret, the DC3 is the ideal 1st stage for double cylinder configuration as well as perfect for single cylinders. This reg set is designed for those who believe keeping it simple is best, but they also appreciate a few useful features in a quality regulator. Provided with a standard length Maxflex braided hose for maximum performance and comfort.

212 Second Stage

• Pneumatically balanced second stage

• Patented Dynamic Adjustment once set automatically maintains inhalation effort throughout the dive by compensating for depth changes.

DC3 1st Stage

• High performance over-balanced first stage provides progressively greater intermediate pressure as depth and gas density increases for superior gas delivery under the most extreme conditions

• Designed to withstand the rigorous CE standard for coldwater performance

• Environmental sealing prevents internal corrosion, contaminants, and icing of the first stage

Don't forget your octo and pressure gauge!
Regular Price: $555.00
$149.00

I would not recommend Hog regulator. I bought Hog D3 Regulator a year ago, and the first stage failed within a year on my 10th dive on Grand Cayman, and no one on Grand Cayman could not service my reg, as they never heard about it. So, I had to rent another regulator for the rest of the trip. If it could not be serviced on Grand Cayman, where it could be serviced?

Another point is that it requires annual service, while many other regulators every two years. I would buy a regulator that could be serviced everywhere and only once every two years, unless you are going to service it by yourself. Some shops are offering free labor, so you will for parts only.

Here's one with no swivel:

photo

MISSED CYBER MONDAY? NO WORRIES!

Now only $149 - while supplies last! This is our best price ever!

Hollis Regulator - DC3 and 212

Built with the same quality as the DC1 Hollis Gear Regulator, without the swivel turret, the DC3 is the ideal 1st stage for double cylinder configuration as well as perfect for single cylinders. This reg set is designed for those who believe keeping it simple is best, but they also appreciate a few useful features in a quality regulator. Provided with a standard length Maxflex braided hose for maximum performance and comfort.

212 Second Stage

• Pneumatically balanced second stage

• Patented Dynamic Adjustment once set automatically maintains inhalation effort throughout the dive by compensating for depth changes.

DC3 1st Stage

• High performance over-balanced first stage provides progressively greater intermediate pressure as depth and gas density increases for superior gas delivery under the most extreme conditions

• Designed to withstand the rigorous CE standard for coldwater performance

• Environmental sealing prevents internal corrosion, contaminants, and icing of the first stage
Don't forget your octo and pressure gauge!
Regular Price: $555.00
$149.00
I bought this exact reg from that vendor a year ago for Christmas - for my kid.. Figured it was time for him to get a new regulator and not an old hand me down.. He used it for about 8 months...it worked flawlessly and he said he liked it no more than his old reg. So... I sold it for a little less than I paid (I paid $200) I think.

Maybe I am missing something, but this seems like an incredible deal to me.

I would not recommend Hog regulator. I bought Hog D3 Regulator a year ago, and the first stage failed within a year
Another point is that it requires annual service, while many other regulators every two years .

I've been using a Hog since 2012 that hasn't needed service yet, and a Zeagle that I have serviced once since 2007 (on doubles).

Last edited:
I would not recommend Hog regulator. I bought Hog D3 Regulator a year ago, and the first stage failed within a year on my 10th dive on Grand Cayman, and no one on Grand Cayman could not service my reg, as they never heard about it. So, I had to rent another regulator for the rest of the trip. If it could not be serviced on Grand Cayman, where it could be serviced?

Another point is that it requires annual service, while many other regulators every two years. I would buy a regulator that could be serviced everywhere and only once every two years, unless you are going to service it by yourself. Some shops are offering free labor, so you will for parts only.

That is no reason to discount the regulator. There was a recall on the first stage, and if it failed, you should have been able to get a replacement, but if you had done your homework, you would have realized that the reason you purchase the Hog regs is because you want to service them yourself. Every time they get mentioned on here, there is a warning that you do not have global service support, and if you are a vacationing diver you should either bring a spare first stage, or the 3 tools required to service them yourself....

I agree with your points, tbone.
You mentioned a recall on the first stage. When it had been issued? Could you please post some details regarding this recall. I've never received any notifications from HOG. Thank you.

if the failure was due to a bad HP crown, they were due to be replaced. You can email Jack your serial number and he'll tell you. You wouldn't have gotten a notification from them as it was voluntary, was just "if a failure occurs for this reason, and you're in this serial number range, we'll replace it". Same with the D1 exhausting housings, if you had an issue they'll replace it, not a universal recall.

Deep 6 is behind on their product launch. With no communication from them and everything completely new I would wait before purchasing their products unless you like being the quality control agent.

You really can't go wrong with any major brand reg these days. Oceanic makes very good gear at a reasonable price. See if you can try some before buying.

I went with an Oceanic Delta 4.2 / FDX 10, new for $315 shipped. Swivel, env. sealed, balanced, adjustable 2nd, "DVT", etc. ALL the features I was looking for, excellent reviews, zero bad reviews, good price, and large company with wide support. I appreciate everyone's help. I hope this thread helps provide info for other n0ob regulator shoppers as well. Lots of good stuff from the SB pro's, thanks!

Back
Top Bottom