All expense paid trip for parents

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scubachris743

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Solo trip to Cocoview resort

Figured I would start this in the general travel section instead of the "bay islands".

Hey everyone! sorry about the long delay. Its been a couple long weeks for myself. Little change in plans...Found out I'm deploying again this summer so coco view is put on hold. Then my mind started to brainstorm. My parents have provided me with so much in my life. I know I can never fully repay them but Im gonna try :) I want to take my parents on a scuba diving trip. All expenses paid. We just went to Bonaire last year so I was thinking of another great "bang for your buck" destination. I still want to try coco view one day but figured there is somewhere cheaper for 3 adults. Something with "unlimited shore diving"(even if its just the front yard). Not concerned on ocean front rooms etc. Looking to dive,dive,dive! Thanks for all the input! I would be leaving from Little rock, Arkansas and parents from upstate Ny if thats a factor. Thanks again!

You'd have to price it out, but what about a trip to Key Largo, Florida? When I dove there, I stayed at a hotel, adding my wife, daughter and mother-in-law to the same room didn't run up the bill all that much, and I did 2 2-tank boat trips with Rainbow Reef Dive Center/day, and found the 10 trip/20 dive package about the cheapest boat diving I've ever done. Rainbow Reef Dive Center moved their location a bit since I was there, but I think you could still do this. Trip report.

What time of year would you be going?

Flying out of Nashville, TN, I tend to find airfare to Ft. Lauderdale to be around $450 round trip, plus $120 for 2 checked bags, and there's vehicle rental & food to think about. CocoView is all-inclusive from what I understand. And yes, you could pack more dives into it.

Or you could try one of the cheaper Bahamas live-aboards; if not Blackbeard's, maybe the Juliet if they're going there that time or year? You can dive enough off a live-aboard that shore diving probably won't be missed too badly.

If you really want Caribbean shore diving, you're probably looking at Bonaire (you already did), Curacao, St. Croix, maybe Grand Cayman, and a very few select places in Roatan (e.g.: CocoView and Reef House Resort).

Richard.

P.S.: For Key Largo, you could fly into Ft. Lauderdale, Miami or Key West. I heard Miami's closer but the airport drama could be worse, so time to drive to Key Largo would be similar. I chose low drama. I don't know the desirability of flying to & from Key West instead.

Thanks for the great advice. The trip would be around the September/October time frame. You definitely sparked something with Blackbeards liveaboard. Its been awhile since I've looked at them and they are a great deal. The staying in a hotel and use a shop is also a great way. Time to start crunching numbers!

Be mindful Blackbeard's means bunks with a privacy curtain. Sounds good to me, but by 'parents,' I assume you're talking about bringing a woman (mother). You're an adult, so I'm guessing she's not a teens/early 20's woman. Many women are higher maintenance than men, and I question how well that's going to go.

Don't get me wrong; I'd like to try Blackbeard's myself (having trouble figuring out when time will be available off at work). But the extra to go on the Juliet might be worthwhile; they sail out of Miami.

T.C. posted a 2014 Blackbeard's trip report that was quite informative.

Richard.

Yup, it would be my mother and father along with myself. That's a good point. She's not really high maintenance. Goes camping every year and enjoys the outdoors. But still might be worth the extra money for privacy. I'll sleep anywhere myself ha. I will have to bring up the accommodations of both "briefly" and see how they react. Want to keep it a surprise for as long as possible.

Check with Cat PPalu - it's the slightly better Blackbeards boat. Normally it's a full charter but if a group doesn't fill it they allow them to sell the extra spaces. I'm pretty sure I just saw a post somewhere where a group was offering several spaces later this spring. More than Blackbeards but I think it runs somewhere in the $15-1600 range plus port fees which are about $120.

It's a 65' sloop like Blackbeards but all cabins with sinks. Still shared heads/showers. It's a lot nicer boat also...lol.
The Bahamas Charter Sailboat Cat Ppalu

See what Lost Island Voyages is doing also. IDK how you/they feel about it but you could bunk above them in some of the cabins - they have a double down and a single up. Or not but there's only one cabin with 2 single bunks. Welcome to Lost Island Voyages | Scuba Diving Adventures in the Bahamas | Miami, FL

Both boats are out of Nassau. Price flights direct or thru MIA or FLL. Both are cruise airports so sometimes the best deal is there then over on Bahamasair or one of the other regionals. Not always though.

A third option might be Juliet, buy your parents one of the en-suite cabins (there's 2) then share with someone else if needed. It's the upper end of >$2000 though. Liveaboard Diving Vacations - Juliet Sailing and Diving Where you save with Juliet is you board in MIA.

Last edited:
Yup, it would be my mother and father along with myself. That's a good point. She's not really high maintenance. Goes camping every year and enjoys the outdoors. But still might be worth the extra money for privacy. I'll sleep anywhere myself ha. I will have to bring up the accommodations of both "briefly" and see how they react. Want to keep it a surprise for as long as possible.
I think enjoying camping and the outdoors does not necessarily mean someone would like the "camping at sea" thing - not sure that's actually a very good analogy even though it gets repeated often. I really like camping and the outdoors too, but have zero interest in a Blackbeard's type trip. (For one thing, my tent on a nice campsite affords way more space and privacy.)

Very true. Ive been crunching the numbers and have come up with a max budget of 6,000 dollars. Ive found a few that are right up to the max for everything(airfare, stay/dive). Would love to have a better buffer range for the what if's. I know for 3 divers its gonna be tough but doable for sure. Thanks for the tips so far!

Hi Chris,
Just chiming in to say we do have trips in the fall, base rate for standard cabins is $1690 per person (all cabins are double occupancy) and one of the standard cabins would be great for your parents (cabin 4 affectionately call it the honeymoon suite - double bed, sitting area, sink in the cabin). Based on my math we can do all three of you in two separate standard cabins for $5430 including all fees. Not sure where you sit on airfare but just wanted to throw that out there! Lots of room this coming October.

We could also put all three of you in one of the forward ensuite cabin for $5085 (all fees included) if privacy isn't an issue.

Good luck with whatever you decide on!
Kat

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom