Can i fly??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Come on guys, give him a break!
BTW, can I fly???

It depends how hard you want us to throw you.

12 hours single dive 24 hours multiple no deco dives are my minimums.

I just did 24 dives average to 60 feet approx with deepest being 106 then flew on 4 flights after only 23 hours. You on the other hand at 6ft for 20 mins might want to wait a bit longer ;-)

Y'all are awfully mean to a new diver.

I can see how this can happen - emergency requiring travel, the guy remembers the instructor saying "don't fly after diving" but cannot remember the details . . .

Kudos for asking.

I'd like to think that anyone capable of logging onto a forum is also capable of searching for "flying after diving" and getting what might be a more credible result than some random internet posting.

I'd like to think that anyone capable of logging onto a forum is also capable of searching for "flying after diving" and getting what might be a more credible result than some random internet posting.
Yeah . . . .

Well, keep that happy thought. :)

I agree with Jax's guess that he did some sort of Discover Scuba Dive pool session and either recalled the instructor saying something about flying after diving or heard it from a diver he met later. My guess is he found SB by Googling "flying after diving," saw what looked to him like conflicting or vague recommendations, and decided to sign up and post a question that gave the specific depth and time of his "dive." If you think about it, the recommendations generally don't mention specific depths or times. If you had ZERO knowledge of scuba diving terminology, and all you know is you dived to 6 feet for 20 minutes, what would you make of DAN's recommendation? What is "no-decompression" you might wonder?

• For a single no-decompression dive, a minimum preflight surface interval of 12 hours is suggested.
  • For multiple dives per day or multiple days of diving, a minimum preflight surface interval of 18 hours is suggested.

I agree with Jax's guess that he did some sort of Discover Scuba Dive pool session and either recalled the instructor saying something about flying after diving or heard it from a diver he met later. My guess is he found SB by Googling "flying after diving," saw what looked to him like conflicting or vague recommendations, and decided to sign up and post a question that gave the specific depth and time of his "dive." If you think about it, the recommendations generally don't mention specific depths or times. If you had ZERO knowledge of scuba diving terminology, and all you know is you dived to 6 feet for 20 minutes, what would you make of DAN's recommendation? What is "no-decompression" you might wonder?

• For a single no-decompression dive, a minimum preflight surface interval of 12 hours is suggested.
  • For multiple dives per day or multiple days of diving, a minimum preflight surface interval of 18 hours is suggested.
The DAN recommendations end at 18h, as you've quoted them. He has 23h. Why would he be worried?
If indeed he did a DSD is a pool, there is no issue with flying afterwards, so why would an instructor warn anyone?
You are correct, of course: first post, no knowledge of any kind. What sort of conflicting advice do you think he might have found?
The current guidelines have been in place for 14 years. It is hard to imagine any instructor or reputable website is not aware of them.

The larger problem I see is that it is difficult to know which websites are credible and which are not. Perhaps this is something that ScubaBoard could help with, by providing a sticky that has vetted websites, especially for medical issues, a sort of Yellow Pages for credible scuba information. The tendency I see (and am appalled by) is for people to exercise no critical thinking, be skeptical of nothing, and to assume that the more times something is said/written, the truer it gets.

What sort of conflicting advice do you think he might have found?
The current guidelines have been in place for 14 years.

Someone with zero knowledge of diving would not know that DAN is an authority, so if this guy Googled the question and found DAN's recommendation along with a number of other hits to his query, including a bunch of SB threads, he doesn't know enough to end his inquiry with the DAN recommendation and ignore the guy who posted "I always wait 24 hours before flying."

I would actually give him credit for apparently appreciating that the amount of risk is related to depth and time, and it's probably not black and white. Sure, he didn't realize the line that DAN's (and others') recommendations attempt to draw between black and white is so far from where his dive fell that some of us might have found the question amusing, but I give him credit for apparently realizing it's not so black and white.

Back
Top Bottom