Dry Suit - now I get it...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Basking Ridge Diver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
So I never thought I would dive in with a dry suit. But - my son needed a new wet suit - he is in high school and growing out of them before he can wear them out... So my solution was to give him my wet suit and buy a dry suit...

The only negative that I can think of is that I am almost doubling my lead to stay down. Anyway - did a dive today and it was a blast - low tide - not my favorite time to dive - but 4 to 5 foot viz which is not bad.

Started at Maclearie but low tide was so low it was about 2 feet below the last step - I figured I may not get back out. So I headed over to the L-St boat ramp. Dove solo with my new dry suit. Had to get out once for more weight but after that it worked out great. My body and feet were great - but my wet gloves were a bit cold.
Water was 41 degrees - viz was about 4 feet - no one else in the water. Ended up using 42 lbs of weight but it was shallow and I attribute it to being the first time in the water with my new dry suit - I hope to be able to shed some of it but I will take my time.
I am looking forward to extending my season - and know I get why folks dive dry... But to be honest I like the water and the feel of it - I just dont like being cold.
:)

I fought going dry for a long time, I finally gave in and my god I have no idea why I fought this! It is the best feeling in the world. I use two steel 100's and I end up only needing a pound or two of lead in fresh water to be perfect. Good luck with the dry suit, I'm certain you'll love it!

When the water warms up I switch from dry to wet I use my DS to extend my season you may want to look into getting dry gloves later on they are amazing

So I never thought I would dive in with a dry suit. But - my son needed a new wet suit - he is in high school and growing out of them before he can wear them out... So my solution was to give him my wet suit and buy a dry suit...

The only negative that I can think of is that I am almost doubling my lead to stay down. Anyway - did a dive today and it was a blast - low tide - not my favorite time to dive - but 4 to 5 foot viz which is not bad.

Started at Maclearie but low tide was so low it was about 2 feet below the last step - I figured I may not get back out. So I headed over to the L-St boat ramp. Dove solo with my new dry suit. Had to get out once for more weight but after that it worked out great. My body and feet were great - but my wet gloves were a bit cold.
Water was 41 degrees - viz was about 4 feet - no one else in the water. Ended up using 42 lbs of weight but it was shallow and I attribute it to being the first time in the water with my new dry suit - I hope to be able to shed some of it but I will take my time.
I am looking forward to extending my season - and know I get why folks dive dry... But to be honest I like the water and the feel of it - I just dont like being cold.
Congrats. Up here in the PNW, it's drysuit diving all year. I'm a big fan of XS Scuba Dry-5 gloves. Technically a semi-dry glove and once you learn the trick of putting some baby shampoo on your hands to make it easier/possible to get them on and off, they are great. Much better dexterity (IMHO) than dry gloves.

I can do everything with my sitech qcp dry glove system as I can with my wet gloves it takes getting used to especially with the sticks and the gloves having air in them but their easy to don and doff and my hands stay dry the less of your body exposed to the cold water the warmer you will be

I havent tried dry gloves only because I am cheap I usually use wet gloves however since I have rings on my suit I am tempted to try the pull over gloves not sure if this is an option on your suit or not.

Welcome to the dry side.

It's nice, isn't it, to be comfy warm in your undergarments after your dive instead of being naked, wet and shivering in the cold breeze? :cool: :coffee:

Drysuit diving is not as difficult as it is often made out to be.

There are 'two control options'.

1. Use the suit exclusively for buoyancy. i.e. at the start of descent, dump all the air from the BCD (Wing) and just use the suit for buoyancy. This is often the easiest, it means you are managing one buoyancy spaces, not two. It works for single cylinder diving, and can for twinset diving (doubles), but certainly doesn't work when you add stages.
2. The second is to put 'just enough' air in to take off the squeeze and use the BCD (wing ) as normal. You do have to juggle to buoyancy spaces if you do this.

You will inevitably be able to reduce the weight you are using as you get more comfortable. Check your weighting at the end of a dive regularly.
Assuming you have a CVD dump in the shoulder, on descent, descend vertically, head up (at least initially), raise this shoulder to allow the air to escape, remember the air will migrate to the highest point in the suit.
New drysuit divers often have air trapped in he suit when trying to descend, meaning they then add lead to overcome this. Large amounts of gas moving around inside the suit make controlling buoyancy and trim much more difficult.

A correctly adjusted CVD will automatically dump air as you ascend, once competent you seldom ever 'dump' air, the valve does it for you. To help, roll this shoulder (normally the left) up to 'encourage' a little more gas to dump.

The most important points is to keep the amount of lead you require to a minimum, this then means yo ucan keep the required gas in the suit to a minimum.

Generally, a drysuit makes diving far more comfortable. Especially the wish to do a second or third dive.

Best of luck, take it slow until you are comfortable in the suit.

Gareth

I havent tried dry gloves only because I am cheap I usually use wet gloves however since I have rings on my suit I am tempted to try the pull over gloves not sure if this is an option on your suit or not.

Warren

It looks like you have a Whites suit, as do I. If it came with the quick change siteck seals, then you can fit the siteck glove system with the minimal of fuss.

I did this last year, in preparation for a trip to Iceland, it has been a great move, and I am still using the drygloves now.
My only issue is with the rings in the suit itself, which restrict wrist movement, but this is a problem with or without the gloves.

Putting the gloves on takes a little getting used to, but its now no more difficult than trying to put tight wet gloves on.

If I was modifying a suit to dry gloves, I wold probably go for the Kubi, they are harder wearing (Aluminium) and have significantly smaller rings, so less restrictive on the wrists.

Gareth

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom