Subgear XP-Air help

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

makologic

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
has anyone used the xp-air? I just bought one. I'm fairly new to diving and used a Galileo and XP10 in previous dives. both were pretty easy and didn't require much input after I set up my FO2 for each tank (diving NITROX). I just dove, and they worked.

So I read the manual and yesterday I took my first dive with the xp-air.

First dive, no problem. It kept track of my NDC time remaining, Air time remaining, it did everything I'd expect. Except it doesnt show my time in the water on the main screen, just the calculated time remaining. I was really unhappy about that. You might be able to get to the time in, but I don't like changing through screens while under water.

On the surface, I couldn't figure out how to switch tanks. I had read the manual, but just couldn't find the menu while out there on the water.

So after the surface interval, I get back in for my second dive. It goes into dive mode, but the NDC was showing -- and it was still showing gas 1. I couldn't figure out how to switch it, my group was descending and leaving so I just dove thinking it would figure itself out. It didn't. the whole dive, it was beeping at me, and about half way through, it wants me to go into a decompression stop. I was only 15 minutes into the dive after an hour surface interval, so I knew it wasn't correct. I just ignored it and used the pressure and ATR, but since I didn't have a dive time display, I just had to go with the group. So it keeps beeping at me the whole dive, and when I was done, I come up. I get to my safety stop, and since it's now gone into violation mode, it won't go to safety stop mode. Of course, I was stupid and didn't have a watch so I had to just rely on others to count down 3 minutes.

So after $700 for a computer, I know this is partially my fault for not knowing my equipment well enough, but it seems too complicated to be messing with during a dive. here are my major complaints. If someone has used this computer and knows a way around this, I'd be all ears otherwise I think I'm going to have to try to return this for something simpler.

1. Doesn't show time in your dive, just dive time remaining by NDC or ATR
2. Doesn't automatically switch gas from dive 1 to dive 2, and reading the manual you can't do it on the surface. So you have to wait to get in the water before you can switch. Anyone that has been on a dive boat knows the last thing you want to do is be screwing around on the surface as everyone is descending to get on the spot/drift.
3. Once it thinks you are in violation, there was no way I could find for it to track the safety stop.
4. A lot of the functionality and displays are buried under menus.

Am I being boneheaded and just need to take the time to learn the equipment, or do you guys think these are real issues with the gear and I should return for something more simple?

---------- Post added July 4th, 2015 at 11:38 AM ----------

ok well some more digging in the manual/setup and I can add the EDT (Elapsed Dive Time) to the main dive display. Although I can't confirm it's there until I dive on it again. So I guess the question about switching gas remains. From what I read the only way I can do that is to do it in the water when it switches into dive mode, then I manually have to do it. Can anyone who has used the XP-Air confirm if I am misunderstanding it?

The XP-Air is the virtually same as the Aeris A300Ai and Sherwood Vision. You can setup up multi nitrox tanks, they be listed as gas 1,2,3... This allows you to prep for multi tanks as they are sometime off a percent or 2. If your tanks are all the same you can just keep using GAS 1. It does reset to air after each dive so you'll have to go to the menu and change to the different gas number corresponding to the next tank. It's a safety thing.

The Subgear XP-Air is now selling for $385, the Sherwood Vision $800, Aeris is gone but had a one small difference, a 3d compass. All made by Pelagic.

you prob. have figured out your xp air but if not . . .
as far as I've been able to figure out myself, I have to change the gas % in gas 1 to use nitrox. using gas 2,3,4 negates the ability to read the gas pressure which is replaced by the letters SPG. I haven't been able to figure out the point of gas 2,3,4 as reading the pressure is pretty paramount to diving.

other than that I really like my xp air. the compass isn't super accurate, nor is the temp gauge, but they are consistent.

I have found the ATR to be worthless, telling me I'm out of air at 80 bar. Whatever

Hey guys...I guess I should have followed up on this. I went back to the dive shop (Jupiter Dive Center) and Gerry walked me through it. Great customer service there BTW I can't recommend them enough for a new diver like myself.

As I suspected, most of my problems were user error and just not knowing the equipment. DIY you are right my problem was that I had set up tank 1 and tank 2, so the computer was expecting me to be in deco mode. I found out I should only ever use tank 1, then just change the F02 if that changes between tanks. Haven't had another problem since. And there is a setting to put the elapsed dive time on the front page so that was good. danknoise, you are right, I hardly ever look at ATR, I think it's programmed to show 0 ATR at 1000 psi. If they are $380 now...what can I say I got suckered. I'm fine with it now but it was not worth the extra money to get the 'Air" calculations in my opinion. I guess I'd say the other critique I have of it is that the numbers are pretty small and hard to see. I hate spending time staring at my computer instead enjoying my surroundings so I'd rather the key numbers be big and bold and easy to read. Oh well. its good enough and i just need to dive more.

Hi, am new here. After a long hiatus, I'm back diving again. Pulling out my gear, I realized I can't download my extract my dove record from my subgear XP-Air console. I no longer have the box that contained all the manual & cd. Anyway to download the software to extract the dive log? Or are there new software that is compatible? Subgear is now scubapro. However, they don't seem to support software to subgear. Would appreciate any help.

Thanks,
Adrian
Bcd:Aeris Jetpack
1st stage: Aeris At600
2nd stage: Aeris ion
Oct : oceanic
Console: subgear XP-Air
Dive com: Mares Matrix

MacDive should work for you

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom