What to look for in used BC

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Painter

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I found a used BC at what looks to me like a good price. I think it is a fairly basic model, similar to one that I rented on a recent trip to the Keys. Anything in particular that I should be looking for or asking about if I go to take a look at it? Would I want to take it to a dive shoop to have it checked out?

I would avoid bcs with extensive sunbleaching and check hose for cracks if possible inflate so that over presume valve goes off but test to make sure the valve isn't seized if this is not possible oral inflate the bc and let it sit for a bit to see if it loses air

I found a used BC at what looks to me like a good price. I think it is a fairly basic model, similar to one that I rented on a recent trip to the Keys. Anything in particular that I should be looking for or asking about if I go to take a look at it? Would I want to take it to a dive shoop to have it checked out?

Hook it up to a tank.. see if the inflate and deflate works, see if it leaks air, look for signs of excessive abrasion or wear....

You MIGHT blow it up all the way, flip it over and then try to drain a few drops of water from the BC.. if it tastes very salty, then the BC has not been maintained as it should... still might not be a big issue. Even the inflator is not a big deal, you can buy a brand new one from dive gear express for like $15.. probably cheaper than having shop monkeys tell you that you should buy a new BC not a used one.

I hardly ever buy new BC's anymore..

Whatever you do, please do test the over pressure valves before every and each dive both on old and new bcds.

What they say. Also, if it seems to be over 10 years old and as "thin" (material) as mine is now, don't buy it. Duct tape not good. BTW (is that a "thing"), I use top of the line shop stuff with classes.

Depends on how trusting or/and crass you are willing to be.

If I were to take it to a dive shop to have it checked out I would expect to pay for the service.

I just heard from the seller, who says he is also an inexperienced diver, selling because he isn't interested in continuing to dive. I wouldn't expect him to have tanks, so I guess I wouldn't be able to check over pressure valves. He claims it is almost brand new, and it looks like it in the photo (on Craigs List). Because of my own inexperience I'm beginning to think I ought to buy new.

Let's see the picture. No charge

Last edited:

Obvious signs of wear, or fading would be no goes.

Does it hold air? You don't need a tank to inflate a BC. OPV's should open at about 2.5-3 psi. You can orally inflate the wing. If you can develop 3 psi with your lungs (that's a lot BTW for a human to generate) you can inflate the wing as much as you can and then squeeze it to test the OPV's Before testing manually actuate the OPV a couple times to verify they open and close. Old tried salt can cause them to stick a bit.

After verifying the OPV(s) work leave it inflated, ideally over night. It should hold air. It might be ever so slightly softer in the morning simply due to changes in air temps, but it should not be limp.

If you can't test over night try for at least an hour. In an hour it should remain nice and tight.

Does the power inflator work? A bit harder to test without a tank and reg, but it the "add" button is not sticky and the BC doesn't leak down over night it's probably OK. You will probably want to have this part serviced, runaway inflators are no fun.

Salt in the bladder? Might be a sign that the current owner wasn't the best at gear cleaning a maintenance, but I have *never* see a bladder that failed due to salt crystals, and as a manufacturer of BC's I've had the opportunity to inspect some bladders that literally contained enough salt to make home made ice cream.

Is it a recognized brand name still in production? That's helpful if you need parts, but most of the parts you might need, like OPV seats or Power inflators tend to be pretty generic.

Tobin

Here is a pic

BCD.jpg

Current owner says it was used just once in fresh water.

Back
Top Bottom