Potions...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rhwestfall

Woof!
ScubaBoard Sponsor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
What are your preferred products and mix ratios for the use in an Ultrasonic?

White Vinegar (50%)? [see below]
Simple Green (?%) Crystal (?%)
Dawn Detergent (?%)

Another question in regard to white vinegar: I have seen "cleaning vinegar" which I believe is a higher acid percentage than the "cooking" type..... so what acid % are you basing dilutions on?

TIA

What are your preferred products and mix ratios for the use in an Ultrasonic?

White Vinegar (50%)? [see below]
Simple Green (?%) Crystal (?%)
Dawn Detergent (?%)

Another question in regard to white vinegar: I have seen "cleaning vinegar" which I believe is a higher acid percentage than the "cooking" type..... so what acid % are you basing dilutions on?

TIA

I use the Trident Ultrasonic Cleaning Solution SA65 for removing minerals, 200gr diluted in 0.5 gallon water.

For grease removing I use the GMC Scuba Special Cleaner 42100ox, 3oz diluted in 0.5 gallon water.

Normal kitchen white vinegar should have a 5% acid concentration as far as I remember.

I use it only in emergency, even the 50-50% dilution is too aggressive for me.

If you forget your stuff a couple of minutes too long in that solution, you can easily 'burn' the chrome parts.....

Pure tap water with a squeeze of dish washing liquid :)
And pure kitchen white vinegar for no more than 5 minutes.

RE: Regulators, I usually don't use an acid based solution AND an ultrasonic cleaner at the same time. When I use an acid cleaner, I use ~ 8% phosphoric acid (by weight) and water. Added to this solution is a little Dawn dish detergent and propylene glycol.

The phosphoric acid is gentler on the chrome, smells better, and most importantly, it does a better job.

anyone clean fired brass? preferred solutions for that?

I use red walnut mixed with some corncob in the tumbler haven't tried brass in an ultrasonic yet.

I use red walnut mixed with some corncob in the tumbler haven't tried brass in an ultrasonic yet.

Be careful about using corncob, especially with 7.62mm brass. There's been many a depriming pin bent or broken on a piece of cob jammed in the primer pocket.

Not that I have any personal experience, of course. I don't do guns . . . .

I usually only break deprimer pins when a 380 case gets stuck in a 45 case. Of course that was back before I had my boating accident.

24 years of using corn cob, I have yet to break a decapping pin. If I do break one I think I'll get over it.

Just thinking about other uses for an US cleaner.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom