HowardE and John Chatterton on Curse of Oak Island

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

So I just got confirmation that the History schedule isn't wrong. Tonight, after the Curse of Oak Island (where the findings from the dive are revealed), they are airing their new show "Billion Dollar Wreck" - and "Drilling Down" (the Oak Island after-show) with me and John will air next week.

Howard, John,

Great job guys!

Every time I see diving portrayed in a reality TV show, I cringe, but you two brought a level of class and professionalism that showed the public what commercial divers are really all about. Results.

Also, hats off to the producers who showed an honest view of how these dives are done. It was refreshing not to hear the phrase 'shark infested waters.'

So many of these shows hunting ghosts, monsters or Bigfoot end up with the crew freaking themselves out, shrieking like little girls, fleeing the area with no evidence or data and never to returning to the scene again. There was no chance of that with real explorers on the job. John and Howard handled themselves like professionals and it reflected well on everyone involved in the underwater world.

Thanks Guys!

Ditto on tech_diver's post,

Job well done!

Thanks for sharing!

So cool...Loved watching...Are you going back and when you do are you removing that stupid drill bit?

You guys did a great job! Was actually revivving my interest in the show if they could get back to actually making some progress. I stopped watching it after it seemed like it was show after show linking unrelated and unbelievable people to the island, knights templar, vikings, christopher columbus..I think they actually had a show with Jesus linked to visiting the island????? Good to get focus back, if they continue focusing on the treasure I could see getting back into it.

So I was heading over to watch the last episode and found this, good stuff.

THE CURSE OF OAK ISLAND Recap: Season 3 Finale Leaves Questions as Laginas Agree to Continue the Search

February 4, 2016 by Mechele R. Dillard

The Season Three Finale of THE CURSE OF OAK ISLAND on History Channel was entitled, “Secrets and Revelations.” So, were there any?

Planning, pre-planning and digging have stretched over literally decades on Oak Island to lead up to the 10X dive featured on the Season Three Finale of THE CURSE OF OAK ISLAND. Legend says that “one more must die” before the treasure can ever be found; did the Lagina brothers prove legend wrong with their dive into the 27”-wide hole by world-renowned diver John Chatterton?
The brothers, along with the vast number of viewers, have been anticipating this day. Unfortunately, Marty Lagina and business partner Craig Tester were grounded in Michigan by a hurricane threat, and were unable to be on the island for the dive; fortunately, video technology allowed them to “be there” in spirit, if not in actual person.

But, did they find anything?

The brothers thought, from a previous scan, that there were two vertical posts in the chamber. It became clear pretty quickly that one of the “posts” was actually a metal drill pipe. It was murky, and there was not much to see. The bottom was clay, which seemed to go along with the idea that the cavern was natural, not man-made. And, in the area of the “body?”
According to Chatterton, there was an area of depression and some sinkholes. But, was there a man-made tunnel? Chatterton did enter the tunnel, and said it was rectangular with a lot of clay and rock. It had to be crawled into–no walking in–and it was irregular and crumbly in texture. So, man-made or natural?

We’re certainly not cave exploration experts or geologists, but it absolutely sounded natural when they discussed it.

Regardless, it was impressive that Chatterton could get into that 27” shaft and into the chamber.

Oh, and the second of the two “posts”–a large, square wooden post that Dan Blankenship had sworn he had seen years ago–did not exist, by the way. And, sonar information proved to be all myths and shadows, as well: no wooden posts, no box (which turned out to be a big rock) and no body.

And, odds of the chamber being man-made?

“I think it looks like a natural formation,” Chatterton concluded.

Rick just refused to be reasonable, in our honest opinion, saying of Chatterton’s conclusion, “Is he correct? I don’t know. Again, we don’t have eyes on target; he’s feeling, with his feet, with his hands.” And, later, refusing to accept the idea that the formation was natural, despite all obvious evidence. “Pretty sobering,” he said, but also added in a camera cameo, after refusing to take 10X off the search grid, “The only way to get definitive answers at the bottom of 10X is to drain it.”

We like Rick, appreciate his passion, have had a lot of fun following along with his dream, but we agree with Marty on this one: It’s time to “put an X in 10X and move on to other places on that island.”

Next week, fans are no doubt hoping a Season Finale for aftershow “Drilling Down” will bring answers to the new mystery started at the Money Pit. Did the Laginas actually find something of a treasure redemption at the Money Pit site? We don’t know but, to tell you the truth, after the complete zero at the bottom of 10X, we don’t have a lot of faith in all of the light-and-shadows “facts” the Laginas are chasing on this hunt. And, the gold cross that the descendants of treasure hunter Daniel McGinnis claimed came from the original Money Pit? In our opinion, just more light-and-shadows.

But, we’ll stay tuned.

Of course, now that there is nothing much to see in 10X, it is time for the Laginas to try and locate whatever they can from the original Money Pit; fans had to see that one coming! And, recently, the guys thought they may have found an underground cavern in the area. On the Season Finale, using a camera to examine the area of the presumed void, the team thought they found a shiny piece of golden material–treasure?–in the original area of the Money Pit. “Curious,” Rick said; a little too convenient, we must add.

What do fans of THE CURSE OF OAK ISLAND think? Is it time to move on from 10X, or just time to drain it? The gold cross from the McGinnis sisters? And, the shiny metal captured via camera at the original Money Pit? Leave your opinions in the comment section below.

Of course, the biggest question has yet to be answered by History Channel: Will there be a Season Four of THE CURSE OF OAK ISLAND? The Laginas did agree with their team to continue the search; will History Channel be there with them?

Stay tuned.

THE CURSE OF OAK ISLAND airs on History Channel; the Season Finale of aftershow “Drilling Down” will air on History Channel on Tuesday, February 9 a

My mom (many times) expressed an old Ukranian saying "Wish in one hand and pi$$ in the other, and see which fills up first. Methinks they are wishing and their treasure is the "reality" show. Or else they have way too much money and time on their hands.

Howard & John - great on you for doing a difficult/dangerous dive and giving an honest report - not playing into the (bogus) "oh dear, we have something significant", e.g. some wood splinters, a microscopic piece of metal, etc. etc. etc. - thanks for not buying into that bushwah.

I tried to watch the show, but I don't use any of the channel providers they want you me sign up with before I'm allowed to see the episode. Is there a way to watch it from overseas?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom