oms wings

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ripman3

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
does anyone use oms wings? I never hear anything about them here. where I dive a lot of people use them. wreck diving in ny and nj. I was thinking about getting one for doubles. I would like to know what you guys think about them.

They are generally massively oversized, moderate quality, and a history of shockingly bad customer service. With so many better options, (DeepSeaSupply being a forum favorite) there's no reason to support them.

OMS was the go to equipment, especially in NY/NJ, about 15-20 years ago. They almost went under but were recently purchased by DUI and now their gear is available again. Divegearexpress carries it.

They are generally massively oversized, moderate quality, and a history of shockingly bad customer service. With so many better options, (DeepSeaSupply being a forum favorite) there's no reason to support them.
Is their quality any better since DUI took them over

They are generally massively oversized, moderate quality, and a history of shockingly bad customer service. ...//...
Broad-brush statements like that do not benefit the community.

See pic.

OMS made a wide range of sizes including the famed "bungeed wing of death", quality was better than moderate, and customer service did indeed suck. A few of them are quite nice though.

Me, I'm looking at an Oxycheq. I think that they got it all together, but can't say until I get my hands on one to test.

Anybody have a used one for sale?

Attachments

• Wings.jpg
    Wings.jpg
    55.5 KB · Views: 398
the OMS that you are seeing is not the OMS of today, and DUI has had some shaky quality over the last decade as well. Their new wings have only been out for a few months, so long term durability hasn't had time to be evaluated. I have a couple of old OMS wings that have been beat to hell and keep coming back for more, but I got them used for wicked cheap.

WRT Oxycheq, they have great products and sh!tty customer service. It is the nature of the beast with their stuff, but you can usually get them quite cheap on the used market when they come up.

If buying new, it is truly very difficult to beat the Deep Sea Supply rigs for cost, quality, service, etc. For under $500 you're all in with either singles or doubles, and you get a wicked nice product. They are a requirement for me these days because of my height, which while not excessive at 6'4", when combined with a large chest, is enough that I am unable to wear a normal sized backplate without causing extreme discomfort.

The 1990's called and it wants its tech gear back.....

Seriously though, I never saw a big issue with OMS quality. They had marketing and distribution squared away for a long while and dominated the market. Then along came 'DIR' and tech tastes changed. OMS didn't move with the times.... and got left behind.

The 1990's called and it wants its tech gear back.....

Seriously though, I never saw a big issue with OMS quality. They had marketing and distribution squared away for a long while and dominated the market. Then along came 'DIR' and tech tastes changed. OMS didn't move with the times.... and got left behind.
would you buy one now?

I have used and still have 2 that I use on every dive. I started out with the OMS 100 double wing because it was the only wing available on Okinawa, at the time, for doubles. It has long severed its purpose. I now use a 60 lb with my Profile for my side mount and a 60 lb Tesseract dual with my normal BP/Wing for cave and deep stuff. The Tesseract is the best damn wing I have ever used and if someone has one for sale I would be glad to buy another one (for the Profile)! From the start, OMS, was the name to go for tech diving but later others started bashing them. I agree that the 100 double was way too much wing and created way too much drag. Also, a group came out and bashed them for the bungees. Funny side is now almost all on the side mount wings have bungees to prevent a taco effect. So, the OMS is a very well built wing and can stand the test of time to include wrecks, caves, reefs, etc.

I'm fine with a reasonable bungee cord, but one of OMS's was extra, extra special: Redirect Notice

The wing in the attached link wasn't bungee'd properly. OMS's intent was to control the POSITION of the lift at max inflation. You could keep all the lift at your head or belt, depending on how you restricted the max inflation. Not a bad idea really, but a horrid way to go about it.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom