ABC News on the (Possible?) Dangers of Belize

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The only solution is to stop going diving on the S. side of Belize city.

Chicago has a homicide rate of 15.1/100 thousand and the Belize rate is 40/100 thousand residents so it is more then double.

Chicago has a homicide rate of 15.1/100 thousand and the Belize rate is 40/100 thousand residents so it is more then double.

So it's true, that surprises me. I know that Chicago can be a dangerous place but I expected Belize to be less dangerous, not more than twice as dangerous.

I've been very involved with criminal behaviors in Chicago and Belize. I really don't make the 28 mile trip to Chicago for any number of reasons.

Watching ABC7 WLS-TV, seeing the same exciting report that you did, packed with goofy and inflaming statements, I will quickly admit that I'm only there to study what dress Cheryl Scott Cheryl Scott ABC7 has slithered into for tonight's weather forecast.

I used to watch CBS2 WBBM, but since they bounced Kate Sullivan Kate Sullivan ‘so grateful’ for CBS 2 run (my next wife) off the air, I'm wandering the single digit channels at 10pm.

How can you take anything seriously on any TV news, much less local gobble-degook. Local news is just plain funny, no matter what cracker box town you watch it in, Chicago or Peoria. Be serious.

These people are taken seriously? Pam Zekman

The straight story on CHICAGO CRIME: Illustrating Chicago Crime, Murder and Mayhem at heyjackass.com

That is some funny stuff.

Last edited:
I've only seen two uses for Belize city, traveling through it on your way from the airport to your pickup to your dive destination, and secondly if you wanted a roasted chicken dinner, seemed like there were about ten thousand offerings of those.

Reactions: Doc
I've been to Belize a number of times and on a couple of occasions have stayed in Belize City, once for three days and two nights running.

My impression of the country as a whole is that it is very safe when it comes to violent crime. BZ City, however, is the big exception. Luckily for us tourists, almost all of the violent crimes are committed by Belizeans against other Belizeans. Drugs and gangs are rampant there, a bad mix for the rest of us.

Outside BZ City, your personal safety is not as much an issue as is theft and burglary.

The case of the woman from Chicago is troubling, though. I hope this isn't part of a larger trend.

Belize is undergoing an economic downturn. Citrus, banana and shrimp farming are all laying people off. There was a bad drought last year that wiped out the Mennonite's rice and corn crops. Food prices are higher. Unemployment is very high and there is a fear here that crime is on the rise. People get desperate when they need to feed their families.
The good news is, Belize is very small and a couple large investments by large foreign entities could result in a rapid turn around. All we need is the for the government to get its head out of its ass and make it attractive instead of near impossible for badly needed capital to come into Belize.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom