Apeks tx50 2nd stage diaphragm

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

T-roy

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hello all...I have an Apeks TX 50 dst that i have dove for years with no problems...absolutely love the reg..I have it serviced every 2 years....I recently took it diving in cold water (45 f) at the end of the dive i noticed my 2nd stage was leaking air...I took the front cover off the 2nd and the leak stopped as if the lever needed adjustment....after removing the diaphragm i noticed it wasn't flat (see pictures) but concave...I have never seen a diaphragm that wasn't flat .... It seemed that the shape of the diaphragm was depressing the lever causing it to leak.. Could the cold water have distorted it? Did the shop I took it to last put the wrong diaphragm in it.. The IP is good at 133.... Has anybody ever saw a diaphragm like this?
035.JPG

Attachments

• 035.JPG
    035.JPG
    65.7 KB · Views: 101
2nd stage diaphragms come in very different shapes, but they are never plain flat.

Your diaphragm looks weird, not like a typical TX50 Apeks diaphragm, I guess it's from a different brand, but one need also a picture from the top and below to tell clearly....

Thanks, I know that the diaphragm as a whole is not going to be flat, but shouldn't the hard plastic part that the purge button pushes be flat?

Attachments

• IMG_0785.JPG
    IMG_0785.JPG
    33.6 KB · Views: 109
  • IMG_0786.JPG
    IMG_0786.JPG
    32 KB · Views: 147
Replace it, that'll confirm.

Ya ...That's what I'm gonna do....the diaphragm in 2nd and my octo both look the same...i believe the shop that serviced them last must have used some aftermarket parts....Do you know of a source that will sell me a couple?

Any Aqualung /Apeks Dealer should sell those diaphragms to you, order number is AP2023.
That one you got is definitely not the right one. Good luck....

where in NC are you? Contact Air Tech in Raleigh if you're in that general direction, or NADCO in Greensboro, they'll get you hooked up. The diaphragm started life with no problem, but has been warped. If you need it ASAP, hold it in boiling water for 30 seconds and the plastic insert should become malleable enough to get it back to flat. Keep in mind that the second stage will need to be retuned if the plastic was warped.

Whatever shop you took it to last obviously didn't check it well because that is not something that happens overnight. I'd recommend making the trek to Raleigh, have Airtech replace both of your second stage diaphragms, and retune the regs. Won't cost a lot of money, they can do it while you wait, and you can hop in their pool to verify they work like you want them to while you're there...

I agree with tbone. AirTech is more likely to have the diaphragms in stock than NADCO. As I read your OP, you have looked at the other second stage, and the diaphragms 'look the same'. But, are both warped? Or, is it the color / configuration of both that are the same, and only one is warped? And, it wasn't entirely clear if the freeflowing stopped when you swapped them out? Where I might offer an alternative to various recommendations: I would start with the shop where you had them serviced last. Why not? You can ask them about whether the parts are OEM or not. Airtech is a good outfit, they are good friends, and I sometimes use them for parts I need on short notice. But, right now, they also have a 3-4 week turn-around on service. Did you follow the previous suggestion, and put the diaphragm in warm water? Frankly, that is an odd warp, but it could just be the picture.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom