Been to Tulamben, Lembeh, NL where to dive next?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Luko,

If I could get enough time to do a liveaboard is Komodo area - is it really worth it then for nudis? I will be on this trip in October. Is Alor good at that time and is it worth it for nudis? I will have to look at Romblon. I never heard of that area before. Curious...do you even think I would be better off giving Lembeh another chance? Maybe going to a different resort? It wasn't a horrible experience at NAD. We still very much enjoyed the diving and our dive guide was good. I was just disappointed with the amount of nudibranchs we saw and a few other things stood out that I wasn't sure about. I still have good things to say about NAD. Thanks for your insight.

Luko,

If I could get enough time to do a liveaboard is Komodo area - is it really worth it then for nudis? I think I noticed that there are some liveaboards that actually only go for 3 days/2 nights. If so, any recommendations on a good liveaboard? I will be on this trip in October. Is Alor good at that time and is it worth it for nudis? I will have to look at Romblon. I never heard of that area before. Curious...do you even think I would be better off giving Lembeh another chance? Maybe going to a different resort? It wasn't a horrible experience at NAD. We still very much enjoyed the diving and our dive guide was good. I was just disappointed with the amount of nudibranchs we saw and a few other things stood out that I wasn't sure about. I still have good things to say about NAD. Thanks for your insight.

I'd think that Komodo is not one of the highest spots on the list for nudibranch.
More over liveaboards will take you to blue water and current dives first, macro comes second. The only part which is really know for nudibranches and back sand is when you start your liveaboard from Bima (Sumbawa).. Personally I don't do Liveabards hence I can't recommend.

Alor in October s a very good season. Alor has two main types of diving : blue water colorful dives in teh Pantar Strait and black sand dives in Kalabahi bay and South of Pantar Beang bay.These are the two locations you'd want to go. Last time I was there I was mazed with the number of really small nudis creeping in the algae growing on the mooring chains.
probably Alami resort that is located in Kalabahi would be better suited for you.
As said nudibranches are seasonal for instance in May, the guides reported to me "carpets of Marionias" close to death after egging, while fir instance I oculn't see any marionia in august.

I think you should give Lembeh another try, I was there in march/april and the nudibranch score was pretty good while I wasn't impressed another time in august.

Calliejlong,

October is early in the season in Romblon. Last October 2GO boat was stranded for 40hours in Romblon due to passing Typhoon. I was there last may when they discovered the melibe colemani first time in the area. Very weird looking nudi!

Kimi - You mentioned Puri Jati. Curious about what you can tell me about that area for diving and what it has to offer? Never been there before. Thanks in advance for your help!

PJ site is located in Seririt, north cost of Bali. After flat area there´s a fine sand slope. Not much corals here.On slope we saw Doto bella nudis, sawblade shrimps and some cowries.
On flat area saw couple Ambon scorpionfishes, frogfish, common seahorse, mimic octopus, few coconut octopusses, few different headshild slugs, big hairy sea hare (Bursatella leachii), hundreds of baby sea hares and Gymnodoris ceylonica nudi was feasting them. Also leaf sheep nudi Costasiella kuroshimae...they are so tiny!

dirtfarmer - I would love to hear more about your experience with Scuba Junkies on Komodo. That place is looking like a very real possibility for me. Thanks in advance for your time!

Ambon is definely the new spot for macro in Indonesia.. (maybe in the world...) If you love macro.. just go there!
It is not so close to Bali tho... need to take 2 local flights to get there and be prepared to spend time in airports...

dirtfarmer - I would love to hear more about your experience with Scuba Junkies on Komodo. That place is looking like a very real possibility for me. Thanks in advance for your time!

It turned out great!! an affordable way to dive Komodo. I'll be doing a trip report but I have to catch up on the farm first.

Hi,

I suggest going to Ambon for muck diving and dive especially in Ambon Bay area for muck diving. I recommend to check the dive resort for an experienced dive guide. Ambon is amazing, we saw Rhinopias, huge Green Melibe nudibranch that sucks everything on its way and quite numerous mating nudibranch, maybe it was mating season :D

The second option is to Dauin - Dumaguete in the Philippines. It offers awesome muck diving too and if you get tired by the muck, then you can go to Apo Island (usually offered as a dive trip from Dauin) - healthy corals and lots of turtles..

If you are interested in these destinations, please feel free to check my blog posts for inspiration and further details information :) Diving – indahs: dive, travel & photography

good luck and wishing you the best to the future diving!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom