Quick release on mask strap!!!! REALLY?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

raftingtigger

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I bought an Ion 3 for my new and expensive Rx. On my first dive I noticed something waving over my head - it was my half disconnected mask strap. Needless to say the dive was terminated and my hand plastered over the faceplate for the SS and ascent.

Fortunately the mask fit very well and didn't come off my face underwater. Given the conditions that day (very surgery and poor viz) I would have lost it and been very unhappy. I am going to disable that (IMHO idiotic) feature before diving again.

Attachments

• IMG_20160207_092257803_HDR[1].jpg
    IMG_20160207_092257803_HDR[1].jpg
    69.2 KB · Views: 88
  • IMG_20160207_092310181_HDR[1].jpg
    IMG_20160207_092310181_HDR[1].jpg
    70.1 KB · Views: 80
My fix. Adding a 8-32 ss screw and ny-nut

Attachments

• 2016-02-07 15.06.14.jpg
    2016-02-07 15.06.14.jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 70
  • 2016-02-07 15.06.25.jpg
    2016-02-07 15.06.25.jpg
    51.8 KB · Views: 63
Wow. Thanks. The pictures say ten thousand words. Love the solution. "Quick-release" is just pulling it off of your head quickly. I just read an article from 2010 indicating Oceanic was no longer employing actual divers.

Last edited:
Wow, is that an actual "feature," or did you just break it because it's a poor design?

Wow. Thanks. The pictures say a thousand words, but, why did you buy that? "Quick-release" is just pulling it off of your head quickly. Love the solution.

I bought it because it fit well and the price was right. I didn't notice the quick release until the almost disaster.

Wow, is that an actual "feature," or did you just break it because it's a poor design?

Not broken. Seems to be a "feature". I could easily clip and un-clip the connection very easily until I fixed it with my mod.

Okay, now I'm thinking that maybe it was designed to market to "ladies" with long hair contrandications.

Great idea... I know the one thing I struggle with getting out my gear, is my mask. No issues with the double steels, long hose, stuck fins, drysuit etc.... It's that damn mask...

Who things a mask strap popping off is EVER going to be a good idea???

I had that happen on a dive one time. Took the mask off, reattached the strap, and continued on.with the dive.

Annoying feature but not a fatal flaw.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom