First 2016 Diver Death in the Caymans

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

During a boat briefing about a potential emergency recall, the captain/DM usually states something to the effect of ending your dive when you're able to and ascending in a safe manner.
For recreational dives, many (most?) people would probably skip or shorten the safety stop and just come up slowly when a recall sounds, but it gets more tricky for tech dives where there might be a significant deco obligation. A second emergency wouldn't help matters either. It comes down to your comfort level in the face of an emergency.

I don't think we want to hijack this thread, but in my circle of friends, when deco is required (and it almost always is) we all understand that in a dire emergency, divers in the water will be abandoned (temporarily) in order to get the victim back to shore.

Bear in mind that normally, we are diving from a moored boat, so we aren't going to be drifting anywhere and more importantly, we are diving from private boats. If I found myself in this situation, I would be on my radio requesting two things... EMS on standby, and another dive boat to head to the site to recover my buds.

I would think that in a commercial dive operation such as we are discussing, the Captain has an obligation to all of this passengers and could not reasonably leave them at the site, no matter how grim the victim's condition.

I suppose one might make an exception in a place like Bonaire where the site might be 100 years from shore and the other divers could easily just swim to shore.

For recreational dives, many (most?) people would probably skip or shorten the safety stop and just come up slowly when a recall sounds...
Safety stops are suggested, not required, so I'd expect them to skip it. A diver with deco obligation and anyone else who doesn't ascend right away may well find themselves left, hopefully to be picked up by someone soon.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom