Which places have the worst reputation for selling certifications?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Digg

Registered
Reaction score
While asking for which agency in your experience sells certification surely sparks fights, I hope being curious
about which places have the worst reputation for selling certifications, sometimes completely out of water, is permitted.

Thank you

Selling certifications, without completing the requirements of the standards, would be a great way to have your instructor certification yanked.

I know but there are surprisingly many places in the pacific I've heard of doing something like that

So, the obvious question--Who buys a certification without doing the work? For what reason? Why cheat on the OW written exam, etc.? It's not high school (I NEVER cheated there.....).

I know but there are surprisingly many places in the pacific I've heard of doing something like that

How about telling us where you have heard of this, especially the comment regarding not even being in the water?

You seem to be beating around the bush and have something to say.

Define exactly what you mean by selling certifications? Every shop and instructor "sells certifications". They have a class, and the cert card costs an extra 20 bucks or so. The class is significantly more. I have issued cards to Navy and Royal Navy divers by observing their log book and observing them in the water, but not necessarily running them through a skill set or completing the book work. I figure a guy with 10,000+ logged dives and perfect trim and buoyancy who teaches Scuba to Royal Navy divers in Portsmouth isn't going to learn much to a PADI instructor in a resort in St. Lucia.

So what is your real beef here?

While asking for which agency in your experience sells certification surely sparks fights, I hope being curious
about which places have the worst reputation for selling certifications, sometimes completely out of water, is permitted.

Thank you

I agree with those that infer a hidden beef. It comes across that somewhere, somehow, you've heard of someone doing something wrong. If you "digg" long enough (pun intended), you will find anything.

The huge majority of instructors insure you meet standards. Some allow total minimal meet of standards, but standards met. Lastly, after the cert, I've seen an awful lot of people blow off what the instructors teach them.

So, what is your beef?

I wouldn't be shocked, but I'd be very surprised to find someone selling certifications to someone with no training at all. I'd be shocked if someone could cold walk in a shop door and ask for a blown off cert card and buy one. Even the sleaziest instructor knows that the "diver" needs to know something.

Reactions: Jax
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom