Fog science

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Used the toothpaste to clean my new mask and it did the trick. No fogging issues at all but it did take quite a bit of work with numerous rinse/check/rinse cycles.

Need to look at the baby shampoo for antifog though (seen so many others struggle with shop bought stuff).

Thank you. Very helpful

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

---------- Post added October 23rd, 2015 at 02:06 AM ----------

It has to be something about the finish at a microscopic level. I wonder if you took a dremel with a polishing wheel and hit a small spot. Then see if it fogs

Keep the Dremel tool far from your mask. Also the lighter.
Use the tooth paste as mentioned to clean the interior.
Use Baby shampoo mixed with alcohol (50 - 50) as defogger.
Apply defogger with the mask dry.

Question #1. Can you spit?
If the answer is yes, You have my recommendation.

Question #2. Do you not like to spit in your mask?
If the answer is yes, enjoy your search for something that works as well and has the same price tag.

I would agree that a dremel might be a bad idea but not the lighter method. I have used the lighter method on every mask I have had over the last few years and it works really good. Don't hold the lighter in any one spot for more than a few seconds and you are fine. Burn off the silicone then rinse, wipe and do it again until you don't see your masking fogging during the process. Here is the video I used to learn this method.

One thing to keep in mind, if your mask has any kind of polarizing coating inside the lense don't use abrasives. I
boughta ScubaPro mask 3 years ago and did used abrasive toothpaste at the advice of my LDS and it scratched the crap out of it. They replaced it because they told to use that method. The newer ScubaPro masks have the polarizing inside the glass now from what I have heard.

[video=youtube;AxkqJqM6UTA]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AxkqJqM6UTA[/video]

I burn mine with a lighter until soot forms. I then allow it to cool and then scrub it in (very) hot water with Dawn dish soap to remove the soot. My masks, new or old, do not fog. Occasionally, over time, you might need to repeat the process. I have both frameless and frame styles. Been doing this for decades. N

Question #1. Can you spit?
If the answer is yes, You have my recommendation.

Question #2. Do you not like to spit in your mask?
If the answer is yes, enjoy your search for something that works as well and has the same price tag.
I have no problem spitting in a mask. My problem was, that nothing works in some masks while others, it works fine. I found out why here. Thanks

---------- Post added November 9th, 2015 at 01:17 PM ----------

I would agree that a dremel might be a bad idea but not the lighter method. I have used the lighter method on every mask I have had over the last few years and it works really good. Don't hold the lighter in any one spot for more than a few seconds and you are fine. Burn off the silicone then rinse, wipe and do it again until you don't see your masking fogging during the process. Here is the video I used to learn this method.

One thing to keep in mind, if your mask has any kind of polarizing coating inside the lense don't use abrasives. I
boughta ScubaPro mask 3 years ago and did used abrasive toothpaste at the advice of my LDS and it scratched the crap out of it. They replaced it because they told to use that method. The newer ScubaPro masks have the polarizing inside the glass now from what I have heard.

[video=youtube;AxkqJqM6UTA]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AxkqJqM6UTA[/video]
I did both. Lighter and toothpaste. Seems to have corrected the problem

Lighter, Dawn dish detergent.
Then J&J's shampoo mixed with rubbing alcohol right before the dive. (rinse it off when you jump in)

You should also degrease with Dawn regularly. Sun tan lotion and face sweat mess up the lens.

I do a few rounds of the lighter. If you are careful enough, you will see it get milky with fog, then go clear, and then soot up.

Once it's black, a paper towel is usually all that is required to clean it up, and do it again.

2 or 3 times has been the trick with me.

From warm caribbean water to cold arctic water, no spit required.

R

Back
Top Bottom