Gear check for the wife? Does this sound reasonable?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OP, how do you vent air during ascent if you are on your in-line octo?

It's never been a problem. My corrugated hose is a bit longer than normal (19"), and it goes from the power inflator to an air horn to the inline Octo (with a bit of hose between them.

The end result is that the octo is in pretty much a perfect position to breath from, and I still have enough hose to hold up to vent as required.

Maybe not the best description, but hopefully you get the idea. I use the inline every dive, and practice an ascent every couple dives-- it's kind of a non-issue, honestly.

R.

I would definitely get her a DSMB and reel. Please teach her how to use it. I've seen people who carry one because it's required on the dive boat but have never deployed it. Ugh!
I definitely will-- I need to get a new one myself; SOMEhow, mine got "found" by our kitten a while back-- I had it stored on a shelf in the basement.

Yes, EXACTLY what you are imagining happened. Feel free to laugh.

"Shredded" is not too strong of a word.

And my finger spool?

Cat toy.

R.

Seeing that you have gotten loads of guys answers to gear for a woman, I figured I'd chime in. I was curious as to why she is adamant against a BP/W? (And add a +1 for equal primary/secondary)
My experience is that a BP/W will sitt better, more balanced and stay away from all the "female bits". It causes less clutter. Boobs are not squashed, and I need less additional lead.
Honest answer? She doesn't like jackets (they squeeze her side, I guess), but does like the back inflate ones. She considers a bp/w too "techy" (her words). She dives to humor me and go to the beach. Fair enough, I suppose. I can obsess over gear. Her answer is "whatever you think is best, honey-- you're the gearhead".

So, she gets what she wants and I get cool vacations and a dive buddy.

R.

I would definitely get her a DSMB and reel. Please teach her how to use it. I've seen people who carry one because it's required on the dive boat but have never deployed it. Ugh!

Yes I have seen this too. They carry it because they have to and have no intention to ever use it. I call them lazy divers, who do not consider others and their safety. The safer you dive, the safer everyone is overall.

My wife knows how to use hers, she doesn't use it very often, but always carries it and deploys it often enough to keep the skill.

Honest answer? She doesn't like jackets (they squeeze her side, I guess), but does like the back inflate ones. She considers a bp/w too "techy" (her words). She dives to humor me and go to the beach. Fair enough, I suppose. I can obsess over gear. Her answer is "whatever you think is best, honey-- you're the gearhead".

So, she gets what she wants and I get cool vacations and a dive buddy.

R.
The first BCD I tried on was one of those jacket BCD's designed for women and I expected to love it. Hated it. Felt like a straight jacket. Had never heard of a BPW so ended up in a travel back inflate. Loved it. Dove it for about 4 years. By then, I had been on SB awhile and decided to try Eric's Freedon Contour BP. Never go back.

But I can understand her relunctunce. There is a bit of a learning curve and having a knowledgable mentor to help set it up can be very helpful. If she likes the fit/feel/freedom of the back inflate she would probably love a BPW. But if she wants something with a similar feel but can just don and go, the travel style back inflate is a perfect choice for her.

Last edited:
This its too "techie"?

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    78.7 KB · Views: 57
This its too "techie"?
Personally, I agree, but she wants what she wants. Back inflate. Fire and forget. Something with pockets for light, DSMB, weight pockets, etc. that won't break the bank.

The Tusa meets her needs and the price is right-- $235 brand new. If/when we move back to the islands (or Guam!), I'll renegotiate with her.

Thanks to all for the help-- after talking it over with her for a while, I'm going to stay with my inline octo, but will get her a more "traditional" octo setup. It's probably the simplest solution for her.

R.

Personally, I agree, but she wants what she wants. Back inflate. Fire and forget. Something with pockets for light, DSMB, weight pockets, etc. that won't break the bank.

The Tusa meets her needs and the price is right-- $235 brand new. If/when we move back to the islands (or Guam!), I'll renegotiate with her.

Thanks to all for the help-- after talking it over with her for a while, I'm going to stay with my inline octo, but will get her a more "traditional" octo setup. It's probably the simplest solution for her.

R.
If you're going inside the wrecks with the Truk Odyssey Guides next winter, I recommend both you & The Wife have at least conventional 40 to 50" long Octopus Regulator configuration -and not the inline type with your inflator hose. You need some "stand-off"/maneuver length slack if you gotta emergency air share inside the wreck while egressing smartly (with non-silting frog kicks and good buoyancy/BCD control -i.e. hard to operate inflator-deflator while breathing inline BCD octo reg setup) down a long narrow corridor, single file.

The best setup for overheads is the Long Hose Primary Reg for emergency donation, and the bungee'd necklaced Back-up around your neck & hanging below the chin. Again recommend taking at least a short pool workshop with Boulderjohn to learn how to use the Long Hose configurarion.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom