5-6 weeks in Mexico, for diving mainly

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've read that conditions rarely let you dive there, maybe I haven't done enough research tho.
Xcalak is the main jump off point for trips to the Chinchorro atoll but often the weather is not favorable for the 30+ mile trip. This does not mean the local diving is not available and having done both I feel the local reefs are better dives than Chinchoro. Chinchoro is a bucket list destination for bragging rights but the local reef is very good. A good contact is XTC dive center

it is rather subjective isnt it...

50 Best Dive Sites in the World
Of course it's subjective, but having the opportunity of diving with humpback whales, giant mantas, hammerhead schools and dolphins etc surely beats any type of reef diving with smaller wildlife in my book atleast.
Xcalak is the main jump off point for trips to the Chinchorro atoll but often the weather is not favorable for the 30+ mile trip. This does not mean the local diving is not available and having done both I feel the local reefs are better dives than Chinchoro. Chinchoro is a bucket list destination for bragging rights but the local reef is very good. A good contact is XTC dive center
Oh really? That would be favorable as dives in chinchorro was super expensive (240$ for a 2 tank)
Have u been to Belize and dived there? If so how would you compare them both?

Have u been to Belize and dived there? If so how would you compare them both?
I have not, I had planned on making it back down to that area back in 2012, a couple months past my side trip to Xcalak, but decided to try Cozumel. A month later I had a week of vacation I need to burn and headed back to Cozumel and tried Tres Pelicanos, it was like trying Crack. Now about 400+ dives later I have pretty much settled into 'repeat offender' status. I am headed back down in the morning for Carnival, I keep telling myself I need to head back South but can't make it passed the island.

Of course it's subjective, but having the opportunity of diving with humpback whales, giant mantas, hammerhead schools and dolphins etc surely beats any type of reef diving with smaller wildlife in my book atleast.

I see you havent done your homework.

I have not, I had planned on making it back down to that area back in 2012, a couple months past my side trip to Xcalak, but decided to try Cozumel. A month later I had a week of vacation I need to burn and headed back to Cozumel and tried Tres Pelicanos, it was like trying Crack. Now about 400+ dives later I have pretty much settled into 'repeat offender' status. I am headed back down in the morning for Carnival, I keep telling myself I need to head back South but can't make it passed the island.
Haha sounds good! I just contacted xtc dive in xcalak and asked them if I could somehow get a boat ride down to ambergris/caulker from there. If that is possible I'll probably do a couple of days in xcalak to check it out, and stay longer if I really enjoy it, if not I'll just head down to Belize.

Katzgar; please try to bring something to the conversation rather than your one sentence answers..
I haven't done my homework? Well enlighten me then, what have I missed?

I already gave you one link. you want me to spoon feed you further? I'll pass thanks.

Are you trying to say that th Socorro islands will be second best compared to Cozumel? Because I highly doubt that lol.

I am sure you will enjoy both places a great deal ..totally different and not easily compared. In fact, the contrast is very cool both topside and underwater. Even culturally and food wise. Mexico is blessed with a smorgasbord of diving/exploring opportunities.

I am sure you will enjoy both places a great deal ..totally different and not easily compared. In fact, the contrast is very cool both topside and underwater. Even culturally and food wise. Mexico is blessed with a smorgasbord of diving/exploring opportunities.
Yeah no doubts. Just this katzgar dude who seems to be in his period or something.
All I said is that big animal encounters rank higher in my book than "regular reef diving"
Leaving on Wednesday, will try to keep you updated every once in a while :)
Cheers

yes you will enjoy it. Period? What a clever wit you have. Must have the tickets and cant change them. such a shame. you imply that reefs dont have large animals which is false.

yes you will enjoy it. Period? What a clever wit you have. Must have the tickets and cant change them. such a shame. you imply that reefs dont have large animals which is false.
Lol i was comparing Socorro to Cozumel.
Please leave the thread with your negative bs

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom