Full Face Mask for PSD

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Trunkmonkey48

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
We are starting a new diver team and I am trying to see what others think of FFM's. We have narrowed it down to 2 different kinds that we like.

The Kirby Morgan Exo Br26

AGA/OTS

I am looking for plus and minus, or the Good, the bad and the ugly on both. Any opinions would be great. We are a Fire department in Wisconsin so we do, do Ice rescue/diving too.

Sincerely,
Jeff S

I would go with the Exo Br26 as the parts are easier to get and the fittings are not metric as with the AGA. Have you looked at the M-48s as well?

Full Face Masks | Kirby Morgan

I am really leaning towards the EXO I just wanted to see what everyone's opinion is on these 2 styles. The one plus with the AGA is that you can have you mask on but not on air, so you are truly at 90% standby diver

I have been using the EXO-26 and BR for over 20 years, with Air, Nitrox and Mixed Gas, High work loads and depths in excess of 360 feet. This mask has never let me down. The only down side to the EXO is the fitting to the face, most divers tend to have air leakage around the temple area which tends to increase when the diver smiles. I would recommend purchasing the foam kit for inside the skirt in addition using a small section of plastic tubing placed between the frame and skirt. For details on how to perform this please call me at 864-444-2524.

I will say that it will take a little getting use to using this mask over the AGA, Viking, or Guardian but the EXO is a great mask that can take punishment, I can not say enough good things about it based on my years of trying to destroy it.

Sincerely,

Bob Kinder

Our team uses the AGA and the Guardian without any problems. The only issue I have with the AGA is the seal, I lost some weight and now have an issue with the mask seal at my temple area. I plan on trying to use the surgical tubing between the seal and the mask to see if that helps. Other than that, never had a failure or mechanical issue. Used the EXO-26 in my first PSD class and found it to be heavy, wanted to pull my head down. Not a big issue. I did like the seal on it and the strapping system.

I have trouble with the OTS due to wide cheek bones so it starts to leak or move in current so going from KM eco to OTS was a problem for me. We did keep some of them in case.The ambient air port is a plus but the mask will fog while you sit there so any viz you might have had gets compromised until it clears out. With all the full face masks divers have to be trained to PUT their face into the mask not put the mask on their face. Make sure the top strap is not over tightened or it will pull it up & off..

I have been using the EXO-26 and BR for over 20 years, with Air, Nitrox and Mixed Gas, High work loads and depths in excess of 360 feet. This mask has never let me down. The only down side to the EXO is the fitting to the face, most divers tend to have air leakage around the temple area which tends to increase when the diver smiles. I would recommend purchasing the foam kit for inside the skirt in addition using a small section of plastic tubing placed between the frame and skirt. For details on how to perform this please call me at 864-444-2524.

I will say that it will take a little getting use to using this mask over the AGA, Viking, or Guardian but the EXO is a great mask that can take punishment, I can not say enough good things about it based on my years of trying to destroy it.

Sincerely,

Bob Kinder

Bob thank you for this information. From what I am reading from everyone the Kirby is a good choice and that was the way I was already leaning towards. Bob I am going to put your phone number in my phone so when we do get them I will give you a call in how to do the foam kit. If you have pictures in how to you can always email me at trunkmonkey_48@yahoo.com -Jeff S

Foam kit
Kirby Morgan information
EXO BR FACE CUSHON KIT Part # 325-025 should be purchased with the mask including 1 spare for each mask.

I know a few folks that have made their own however Kirby is starting to not honor warranties when non Kirby parts are used on their Masks and Helmets.

Hope this helps.

Back
Top Bottom