Travel Search Engine Frustration

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mcohen1021

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
Has anyone noticed that the hotel search engines like cheaptickets and expedia are now adding / integrating “nearby hotels” to their search results? I was searching for a hotel rate for Cozumel hotels and I get results for playa del carmen. I looked for a place to filter those results out but to no avail. I do not have any interest in PDC, only Cozumel, why would they screw us over with sending back 483 hotel options, 400 of which I do not want / need to ever see…? Anyone else noticed this and as frustrated as I am?

Better yet, anyone know of a site that does not do this or know how to remedy this problem?

Thanks for listening to my rant

I have run into that, but not on Kayak lately I don't think. If you do, check the box for Cozumel only or limit it to 5 miles from center center.

You can shop hotels, amenities, and prices there - then check on other sites for those names. Kayak is pretty good tho.

After reading this I went to hotels.com and tried it out. I did a search of hotels in Cozumel for a week in August. The list came back with all the Cozumel hotels first and then it showed PDC options but only after all the Cozumel options. I have found that hotels.com works pretty well.

hotels.com
I often search Kayak first, then try to use Hotels.com. I like their phone service availability and best price guarantee. I booked with them last Coz trip, then checked rates now & then, finding a better one right before my trip. One call and they sent me a refund.
banana.gif
Their site has a feature to line up results according to distance from city center or a chosen landmark, but I don't think these sites really know that info. I often see them spot hotels in completely wrong locations. I think it pays to highlight the hotel name, search it on google, then check their opinion of where it is.

Thanks, guys. It kinda just irks me, they’re trying to sell destinations I did not ask for. I’m going to test the ‘package’ option to see what happens. I was looking at ‘hotel only’ bc we’re planning on flying on miles this trip to get a cheap cheap scuba trip in. Is it May yet…? =)

Oh and something else that is now popping up on cheaptickets – they are listing hostels as a stay option – WTH – not just no, but helllll no!

they are listing hostels as a stay option – WTH – not just no, but helllll no!
Many are, and that's good for those who look for such. It's always good to check the property description closely, the amenities, then go to Trip Advisor to check their reviews. I like cheaper hotels, but a private room & bath, second floor, 24/7 desk just in case, close to Melgar.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom