$3,400 in employee gear stolen - Grand Cayman

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DandyDon

Umbraphile
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
One kilometer high on the Texas Central Plains
# of dives
500 - 999
Staff scuba gear stolen from Eden Rock | Cayman Compass
An estimated $3,400 worth of scuba equipment belonging to two employees was stolen Friday afternoon from the Eden Rock Dive Center in George Town.

“These are the tools of our trade,” said guide Andrew Barnes, whose new BCD and other equipment were stolen.

Mr. Barnes said one of the company’s instructors left a storeroom unlocked between 1 and 3 p.m. and someone entered and stole two BCDs, regulators and other equipment.

“As an instructor, you need the best equipment,” he said, “and you need to know it inside and out.”

He said he and Joe Morris, whose equipment was also stolen, will still be able to dive with gear from the shop.

“I’ve been here nine years and never had anything stolen,” Mr. Barnes said. “Cayman is changing.”

He said a police officer came to the store and took a report but had not filed it yet. In the meantime, they are alerting dive shops and other places where the thief might try to sell the gear.

Mr. Barnes said it could take him a year to save up for another new BCD.

“I’ve been here nine years and never had anything stolen,” Mr. Barnes said. “Cayman is changing.”

That one statement concerns me, or at least gives me pause. GC for years has been stable and safe, yet now we are hearing of incidents.

Back
Top Bottom