Which Halcyon SMB for GUE Fundamentals?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I was once on a boat with some of them gooey divers, each with more gear than the rest of us lowly bubble blowers combined (minus cameras).

They seemed to like the 1m for training (since they rarely go deeper than 10-15m) and 2m or larger for 'big' dives off the boats.

YMMV

R

i don't understand the obsession with halcyon smbs??? there are so many smbs that are essentially the same for half the price. dirzone, frog, oms, tecline, hollis.

I could understand why the smaller (1m) ones are easier during Fundies. Because you are basically practising the deployment very shallow (5-6m). If you take a big one (2m) which is also quite wide, you won't be able to deploy in one breath, and it will play havoc with your balance/trim/buyancy. Bad thing is these small ones are not very visible (the main use) when there is a bit of chop. The large ones deploy very well from greater depth (typically 20m).

Halcyon is selling now a tall smb with the width of the small one. Ideal combo IMO.

Have smb's from several brands... most of them are good, so yes no need to stick to halcyon.

Last edited:
I had quite a few inexpensive SMBs fail/ fall apart. I bought my 1m Halcyon SMB used for $25 about 5-6 years ago. It is still in great shape and has seen a lot of action. I have a 2nd one i picked up used for $30 end of summer. The deals are out there if uou look.

Last year I bought a 2m skinny Halcyon SMB new, I would have preferred a used one but I haven't seen any for sale and my safety is worth a few (big few) extra dollars to me. It deploys very easy from depth and more importantly it can be spotted from a realistic distance.

Buy whatever makes you happy, just be sure it will work and can be seen when you need it.

For fundie, I will recommend the Halcyon 3ft close circuit one. Auto/oral inflator is possible, if not the oral inflator is just fine. When I took fundie, I had the same feeling about why spend so much on a SMB. After trying a few other, I gave in and bought a H. I am sure there are other that is just as good for lower cost, you just need to spend time to try.

As for HOG close circuit 4.5ft, I also have one for ocean dive. Honest, you will have easier life with Halcyon 3ft in the class

For fundie, I will recommend the Halcyon 3ft close circuit one. Auto/oral inflator is possible, if not the oral inflator is just fine. When I took fundie, I had the same feeling about why spend so much on a SMB. After trying a few other, I gave in and bought a H. I am sure there are other that is just as good for lower cost, you just need to spend time to try.

As for HOG close circuit 4.5ft, I also have one for ocean dive. Honest, you will have easier life with Halcyon 3ft in the class

Is it more important to use an smb that will get you through the class - or use an smb that you will actually use in a day to day dive? Does anyone even use 3ft smb's as their primary? Just curious on what you think :)

Your assumption is 3ft smb isn't useful. But it is not the case for our local dives. On tech charter, divers use 3ft to indicate their drift decide location, so the boat will follow the smb. I haven't seen the need for a bigger smb. For rec profile, boat or shore, 3ft smb gets used all the time. I also carry a HOG just in case, but it hasn't been deployed once. I don't even remember it is 4.5 or 6.

Your assumption is 3ft smb isn't useful. But it is not the case for our local dives. On tech charter, divers use 3ft to indicate their drift decide location, so the boat will follow the smb. I haven't seen the need for a bigger smb. For rec profile, boat or shore, 3ft smb gets used all the time. I also carry a HOG just in case, but it hasn't been deployed once. I don't even remember it is 4.5 or 6.

Alright! sounds good to me! Where I open water dive the waves will basically swallow a 3ft smb. If it works for you then that's all that matters.

I'll just point out that TSandM, a GUE enthusiast and proselytizer, once explained to me that she intentionally used no Halcyon gear except an SMB---an exception she allowed herself because the SMB was too awesome to substitute.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom