Digital Dive Logs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Paper for me, and a Xerox of each page in case book(s) are somehow lost. I save a lot of non-scuba stuff on the laptop and back it up in two places. Even with all that backup, I still know paper won't be electronically wiped out. My paper copies go into the firebox in case the house burns down.

I use diving log 6.0. It is paid software however when I was trying to inport dive logs from an old version of suunto dive manager it was the only program that could import the old files. I have tried subsurface but keep going back to Diving log as I find it easier to do bulk edits in and I dont want to have to retweak the database if I import it to subsurface. Diving Log 6.0 has the ability to modify the display layout and the printed log pages It can export the data to excel and other formats if you want to pull the data out for other uses.

I usually keep a printed summary of all dives Date, location, depth, time, mix, deco, etc and them a detailed printout of the last 8 or so dives to include profile etc. These printouts come with me as my dive log. If anyone needs more than that I will be happy to do a check out dive with them at their expense but their divemaster will have to show me their back kick.

Please check out Subsurface as it is open source and I support that however also download the demo of Diving log 6.0 and see what works better for you.

I dont like the idea of any online service where you dont have a way to keep a backup of your data. If whatever online divelog you are using goes down shuts down changes formats etc and you dont have a copy of your data you may be starting all over. Remember the cloud just means your data is on someone elses server.

Diving Log is great although a bit pricey. but the ios app to me is one of the best mobile dive logs i've seen. Android wasn't bad either last time i played with it. I've tried just about all the possible digitial logs out there, but i agree with some of the sentiment posted above that a purely online solution feels sketchy as there's no telling when they'll close shop.

it wouldn't be hard to set up a google sheet and create a google form so that you are just entering the needed info for every dive like filling a questionnaire which populates the google sheet. Making the reporting beautiful is another issue though. that's where programs like diving log shine with tons of template/report options built in.

+1 for Diving Log 6.0. Easily downloads all our data from Oceanic ProPlus 2.1. Provides great reports by just about any category you can think of, including graphs. You can even change the layout of your log sheets to show the data in the format you prefer. It's great. We do not upload up to the "cloud" but several options are available.

upload_2016-2-9_7-25-35.png

For about $40 US it isnt even close to what I have spent on a whim in scuba.

+1 Macdive for keeping it on all my devices.

As well as the log, I've got all my gear saved, so I know serial numbers and value (insurance) weight (travel) I put date of last service in and get remiders etc, so for my its more than just a log book. Indeed if you add photos as long as your camera and PDC are set to the same time, the photos are placed at the correct time on the dive

dive log for me with back up on scuba earth.....

Have to say up to now it is Scuba Earth (as a backup to my paper log).

From my next dive, I will be logging electronically (with the new DC) so might give Subsurface a try (esp as the PC version and android app is free).

I will probably keep the paper log going while I am still doing courses and sorting my weighting out.

Divinglog 6.0 is full-featured, and you can download a demo version free that will let you record and play with 10 dives:

Diving Log 6.0 - Download Diving Log Desktop Version

Subsurface is completely free, and is pretty sophisticated in its own right:

Downloads | Subsurface

If I hadn't made up my mind, it would only take a few minutes to install them both, download a few dives, and see which one I liked better.

John

Back
Top Bottom