Reasons for using aluminum tanks in cold water?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If I were to dive sidemount and use 80 cf tanks I would rather go with steel since they are smaller and less cumbersome
But that is just me I never liked aluminum tanks and I only used them once since then I've dove steel and will never look back

Al tanks are lighter to carry around for a given volume of gas.
Who fed you that load of bullsh!t? Whoever did is clearly mistaken because that is 100% backwards from reality
Luxfer AL80-77.4cf of gas, empty weight of 31.4lbs
PST HP80-82cf of gas, empty weight of 28.6
essentially 3lbs lighter, and that is not including the 8lb buoyancy advantage that the HP80's have... So total weight advantage is 11lbs on land, 8lbs less lead on your spine, and you have 5cf more gas... Yup, that's a real advantage. You argue that that is a HP tank so it doesn't count, fine.
Faber LP85-85cf of gas, 31.2lbs on land, with a 4lb advantage in the water, so you get a 7cf gas advantage, and save 4lbs of lead on your harness.

Why do the Euro guys use AL tanks? The big sidemount guys there are Mexican style cave divers. HP, Steve Martin, Toddy, etc etc. No steel tanks down there, so their rigs are designed around aluminum tanks. Extra advantage? With aluminum tanks, you don't need a large wing, the Razor wing is abysmal when it is fully inflated, uncomfortable from the bungees, rises off of your back, and makes you look like you grew a turtle shell. It is perfectly fine for 4 aluminum tanks, especially in a drysuit, but it is not suitable for the heavy lift requirements of big steel tanks. They don't need the big steel tanks, because most of their caves are fairly shallow.
In Florida, sidemount was developed using the same tanks that were being used for doubles because it was convenient. LP104's from PST, LP95/108/121's from Faber, all of the HP tanks from PST then Worthington. For the reason that Mr. Archer is dead wrong about, steel tanks provide a much greater volume of gas for the same given weight.

Now, in addition to that, the "fancy" techniques that you can do with aluminum tanks can only be done with aluminum tanks because they float. Add a valve and first stage on there, and breathe them down to 1200ish psi depending on the regulator, and they are perfectly neutral. This means that tank swapping becomes feasible because you are not using the tanks as your ballast so you can hand off a tank, and wait for one to be given to you without shooting to the surface. There are pros and cons to each system, I like the feel of the Razor much better than the feel of the big Florida style rigs *Nomad XT, SMS 75/100 etc*, but it just isn't very comfortable when the wing is fully inflated, feels like you have a noose around your waist. I need big tanks for Florida caves, they're deep and long. I'm doing some diving with a buddy coming up this spring, the dive plan calls for a pair of LP121's, and a pair of stages, and we will need every bit of it. If I were to do that dive on al80's, I would need 6 tanks instead of 4. Sure it can be done, but it creates a lot of drag so I can get farther on 4 tanks than I can on 6, so I carry big steel tanks.
For small dives, I have a pair of LP45's which hold 62cf when cave filled. A pair of them weigh about as much as a single al80, I have redundancy, I have 1.5x the gas that a single AL80 would have, and I can take about 6lbs off of a weight belt with them vs a single AL80.

Was it something he said?

My reason for using AL tanks in cold water was the price, At the time, could buy two AL tanks for the price of one steel. The dive shop for fills was a long way from my home and the dive site and I wanted to make two dives a day instead of just one. Later, when I had the cash, I picked up steel tanks.

Bob

For purely fun recreational dives I'd rather use an old steel 72 filled to 3000 for 86 CF instead of an AL 80. I can buy used steel 72 cheaper than 80's and there are weight advantages to them both above and below the water, lighter on land and slightly heavier underwater.
I can't think of a reason to use AL80's for anything but warm water with minimal suit thickness, or no wetsuit at all.
Like it was said already, probably the only reason for cold water AL80 use is because that's what available for rent at dive shops or maybe the cheap price?

Aluminium are pretty hard to find in france/switzerland at least (my experience)

Like it was said already, probably the only reason for cold water AL80 use is because that's what available for rent at dive shops or maybe the cheap price?
People here actually buy AL80s for sidemount to do their quarry and shore diving in a drysuit. An AL80 cost as much as a steel 12L.

@Patoux01
You like to chime in but you don't like to answer anything or give reasons, ey?

Why do the Euro guys use AL tanks? The big sidemount guys there are Mexican style cave divers. HP, Steve Martin, Toddy, etc etc. No steel tanks down there, so their rigs are designed around aluminum tanks.
In Mexico, sure. But the water there is warm and you only need a tiny bit of weight.
I saw a Steve Martin Video were it says that you should use steel tanks if you need more than 6-8 kg with AL80s... which makes sense. Diving with 36-40lbs doesn't, IMHO.

The European 12l steel tanks are actually lighter than AL80s an they hold around 20cuft more gas per tank.

Have you tried steel? 16-18kg of weight doesn't sound like fun to me.

It'd be news to me.
This!

@Patoux01
You like to chime in but you don't like to answer anything or give reasons, ey?

In Mexico, sure. But the water there is warm and you only need a tiny bit of weight.
I saw a Steve Martin Video were it says that you should use steel tanks if you need more than 6-8 kg with AL80s... which makes sense. Diving with 36-40lbs doesn't, IMHO.

it was more to say that these guys developed their sidemount styles around the use of al80's, so when they brought it back to their local environment, the rigs are not designed to use the heavy steel tanks. Steve specifically says to use LP steel tanks, and is referencing primarily our LP85's which are 13l long skinny tanks that are quite floaty when empty and while they offer a 4lb advantage per tank over AL80's, he does say not to use the HP tanks which give the 6lb advantage because they don't behave quite as well

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom