Oman Sail - Diving the Damaniyats

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

How does the diving at Damayiyats compare to Red Sea liveaboard diving?

I'm asking for two reasons. First curiosity for myself because I recently met a couple that are working in Oman and have a grest number of dives there. They spoke well of the diving there. At the time, I hadn't anticipated getting there myself and so neglected to get as much information as would normally seek.

Secondly, another friend that I made on the same trip as I met the couple previously mentioned, is a newer diver, who has really fallen for the Red Sea lob diving. We will be remeeting as roomies back again in the Maldives and it is both our wish that she has much more experience by then.

My new diver friend has reasonable access to great diving from home base of Turkey. Also, in the fullness of time, there may be a number of opportunities for us to meet and dive together.

Is Oman a place I should put on my bucket list? Is Oman an area I should encourage my friend to visit for the diving experience?

TIA

Is Oman

Excellent footage Jana, hope to be heading down to Oman in August, hopefully some whalesharks will be around, yet to see one!

---------- Post added June 13th, 2015 at 11:55 AM ----------

Chilly,

Although I have done over 700 dives in the Red Sea, I have never done a liveaboard there so cannot compare (I lived in Saudi for 11 years).

Damaniyats is definitely worth traveling to if you are in UAE, not sure if it has enough to attract people from outside of the region. For me it is a 4 hour drive away, but too expensive to do every weekend.

If traveling to the region then it would be worth including in an itinerary along with Musandam (North Oman) and low viz diving in UAE.

Thanks! Even so, your fabulous pictures leave me feeling it a loss.

My friend shall have to make do with the Red Sea. :D

If you have the time, then it is worth adding to a mixed itinerary in this region, there is plenty to see above sea level too, especially in Oman.

Using Dubai as a hub for the flights and hiring a car to drive around UAE and Oman. I have some friends from Austria who did that a few years ago and they enjoyed it. The driving is certainly a bit more adventurous than downtown Toronto / Vancouver.

Thanks for the comments about the photos :)

HI Searcaigh,
Thanks for your insights on Damaniyat Islands. We are going for our first dive trip there at the end of Feb. Have heard Omanta Scuba Diving Academy is also very good so are debating between them and Millenium. Do you have a view between the two? Would really appreciate the insight.

Thank you!!!

I have not used Oman Scuba Diving Academy ..... not familiar with them. I checked on Trip Advisor and they have 54 excellent votes out of a total of 60, makes me suspicious, surely no dive op around here is that good!

I will be down at the Millennium again early March though.

If you are in Muscat area though you will have more choice of dive sites other than the Damaniyats, but if you are only going to dive the Damaniyats then the Millennium is much closer to Dubai if you are driving.

Thanks for the feedback! Yeah, we will be driving from Dubai and only have a weekend to dive so plan to only do Damaniyat. Oman Sails' website says they return at 4 pm after a 2 tank dive, which seems like a really long day for 2 tanks? Will have to call them to find out why! :)

Does seem rather long.

Depart at 0900, should be at the dive sites by 10:00, although for the "Aquarium" this site is further south. The trip from the Millennium to the nearest islands is approximately 40 mins.

In the water by 10:30 and out by 11:30,

SI for 60 mins, usually while moving, so in the water again at the latest by 13:00 and out by 14:00 and back at the marina by 13:00

So 16:00 is not too far off if they have delays for any reason, in particular weather.

Hi, just stumbled across this very insightful thread. Wondering if you have any insight if April is a good time for Daimaniyat?

I have only recently moved to Dubai, tried Daimaniyat during Jan and it was very good. But don't know now that it's getting hotter, would the weather and viz be any good to justify the drive from Dubai?

TIA :)

Hi Tia, the weather should be getting better, July to September is good for whale sharks apparently, I've never seen one there yet though, but I know of plenty of people who have.

It's always worth the drive from Dubai.

Back
Top Bottom