Non chartered dive boats in LA

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Epicnemesis

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
No idea how to word the title. Basically I am looking for a dive boat(s) that sell seats. I only know of Eco Dive Center's weekend excursions, but I feel like there has to be more boats out there selling seats. The reason I ask is because I want to go diving next Saturday, but I can't seem to find any boats out there that I can just buy my way on to. They all seem to be private charters.
I would also need a boat that sets people up with dive buddies. I'm still a newbie (5 dives including the open water certification dives)

I think that the phrase you're looking for is "open boat". Many dive boats do that when they don't have a dive shop that charters an outing or maybe only charters half a boat.

The Great Escape boat tends to be "open boat". The Magician also tends to be "open boat" on Fridays because in the weekend it is pretty much chartered by Sport Chalet.

The Spectre in Ventura tends to be open boat.

As far as finding you a dive buddy, the boat or shop (if you go through a shop) can ask the other divers but they can't make the divers take you as their dive buddies. Most divers don't mind having a newbie tagging along, but some divers don't want to deal with newbies or strangers.

As far as going on boats that are privately chartered by a shop, all you have to do is call up the shop that does the charter and see if it had sold out all the slots. Shops don't care if you're not one of their students. They want to sell all the open slots as much as the boats would.

I've done it both ways. Go on an open boat or charter through the shop that already chartered out the boat.

No idea how to word the title. Basically I am looking for a dive boat(s) that sell seats. I only know of Eco Dive Center's weekend excursions, but I feel like there has to be more boats out there selling seats. The reason I ask is because I want to go diving next Saturday, but I can't seem to find any boats out there that I can just buy my way on to. They all seem to be private charters.
I would also need a boat that sets people up with dive buddies. I'm still a newbie (5 dives including the open water certification dives)

Here are some dive boat schedules that show "open boat" outings.

Great Escape Southern California Scuba Dive Boat Calendar
Schedule » CeeRayDiveBoat.com
Prices & Schedule
Peace Dive Boat Calendar | Book Diving Trips in the Channel Islands
Expedition Calendar
Sand Dollar Trip Calendar

Open boat! Good to know the terminology and thank you for the links! I'm hoping to get out there this Friday or Saturday. Looks like I'll have a few options.

I'm not in SoCal, and there may be local lingo I'm not aware of (though I am an EX-SoCal'er), but I have found that some dive ops use the term "charter" (ambiguously?) to refer to what fnfalman points out is really an "open boat." For instance, the web site of a popular NC dive op refers to all their trips as "charters." So, if you see "charter" on a web site, don't be so sure it's a private charter.

One thing to be aware of is that dive boats in California are more like taxis to get you to the dive spot as opposed to full service guided dives. There will not be a DM in the water with you who you can follow (unless you arrange and pay for one in advance). In my experience, insta-buddying on boats here is also rare. In addition, many require AOW to dive off their boat.
Before booking anything, call them and confirm all of the above.

Imho If I were you I would consider joining a dive club this would help you in a few ways generally when part of a club the chartered dives are cheaper through them secondly they can find you a good match for a dive buddy thirdly you make plenty of contacts for future dives

Some shops that charter the boat may require AOW to dive at certain spots.

I know that the Sundiver boat required AOW to dive with them at places like Farnsworth.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom