Substantial reef damage from boat anchor... again

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

He does have multiple yachts.
I know, he apparently also owns sports teams blows my mind too.

but I am but a wee simple man.

Meduse
Tatoosh
Octopus

I thought it was a class act. MV Tatoosh is takeing responsibility and will assist in the reef restoration. It sounds like an accident due to weather. Cayman 27 has info

The owner of the yacht sounds like a good guy. Accidents happen.

Good for him! I have a kind of mixed opinion of the guy for a variety of reasons, but I am glad to hear he is stepping up to try to do the right thing here.

Cayman Compass reports that Paul Allen's company Vulcan Inc. has "retained experts in coral restoration to “assess the situation” and has submitted a plan of action to the Department of Environment."

“Paul G. Allen and Vulcan believe the most important action now is a rapid review of the remediation plan by local officials and the restoration of the reef. Time is of the essence, and we stand ready to begin playing our part in quickly implementing that plan.”

Not accepting responsibility, but looks like some effort is going to be made towards remediation.

Sounds like that 113' x 113' section of reef will be the nicest reef in all of Grand Cayman by the time this is over.

How exactly do you repair a coral reef?

There's a few things that can be done. First you can reattach any sessile organisms that are on the site to the limestone bottom with epoxy. Eventually the animal will encrust over the epoxy and back on the limestone.

Second, you can fragment (cut) small portions of coral, gorgs, sponges, etc. from nearby reefs and do the same process as above.

And finally, if anyone is doing it in the area with the native species, you can aquaculture the corals, sponges, gorgs, etc. on land and then transport them to the reef and again do the same process to attach them to the limestone.

Back
Top Bottom